First cut timothy hay

mls18

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ive been buying 3rd cut timothy hay for a while now, but my guinea pig recently started only eating the crunchy pieces in it and leaving the soft ones. I want to buy a less soft hay for him because I think he would like it better but I read that first cut can be dangerous since it can poke guinea pigs eyes. How dangerous is it? Would it be better to get 2nd cut?

The goblins will only eat timothy when it threatens to poke their eyes out. What they have against soft hay I have no idea, but they really don't want it. Fingers crossed, there's been no haypokes so far. I mix it in with orchard hay for them, which is still on the stalkier side, but they love it. And if it's what they'll eat, it's what they'll eat, I can't change that. They barely entertain meadow hay, it gets mostly ignored, same for 3rd cut timothy.

The goblins will only eat timothy when it threatens to poke their eyes out. What they have against soft hay I have no idea, but they really don't want it. Fingers crossed, there's been no haypokes so far. I mix it in with orchard hay for them, which is still on the stalkier side, but they love it. And if it's what they'll eat, it's what they'll eat, I can't change that. They barely entertain meadow hay, it gets mostly ignored, same for 3rd cut timothy.
my guinea pig is the same😂 i guess ill try the new hay, hopefully I'm as lucky as you and dont get any haypokes!

Back