First attempt at nail cutting today!😬

Jellybellybeans

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
So I attempted to do Pip and Squeaks nails for the 1st time today which went a lot better than I thought it would to be fair - Pip being the much calmer of the two was much easier to do than Squeak who was very wriggly and kept pooping on me!😂
I’ve managed to do all their back toenails but not all of the front ones (none of Squeaks!) anybody have any tips please on making it easier to do these would be greatly appreciated!
Photos of the two of them after the event - Neither of them were impressed with me but Pip in particular I think looks very sulky!🤣

Attachments

• IMG_9670.webp
    IMG_9670.webp
    95.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9656 Copy.webp
    IMG_9656 Copy.webp
    49.5 KB · Views: 3
I normally hold them against me with their back on my stomach, my 8 are used to me doing them so are generally calm, some of the front ones can be awkward as they turn in, try a bit of romaine keep them occupied and if you have someone who can hold them whilst you trim that’s even better, try a cushion under them and I use a tea towel in case they try escaping. Good luck 🤞

Well done! 👏🏼

Snacks, plenty of snacks…. That’s our top tip!
Also sometimes it’s only one nail a day, depending on what mood the piggies are in. I always feel a sense of achievement when I manage to get all nails on a couple of paws done in one sitting.

I hope the huff didn’t last too long.

I found mine behaved worse if they were being held whilst trying to cut their nails.

Now what I do is place them on the kitchen worktop (and I can have a bright lamp on right in front of me too, if I need it on a dull day) and I stand right up against it so they can't waddle off the ledge. Then they get 'cuddle' cuts; first I have them stand facing to the left, sort of have my left arm curled around their front (like I'm cuddling them close) and also with my left hand I handle the their front right and back right paw and trim their nails with my right hand. Then I turn them to face the right and trim their left side nails the same way.

Doing it that way, you also have the option of placing snacks in front of their noses to distract them as well but I never need to this way.

The back paws are always the easiest to deal with because, for some reason, they care less about those and are less likely to pull them away. :xd:

I normally hold them against me with their back on my stomach, my 8 are used to me doing them so are generally calm, some of the front ones can be awkward as they turn in, try a bit of romaine keep them occupied and if you have someone who can hold them whilst you trim that’s even better, try a cushion under them and I use a tea towel in case they try escaping. Good luck 🤞
That’s great, thank you so much for the tips!☺️ I’m sure we’ll get better & better at it as time goes on & it just becomes part of our routine

omg I had to get my mum to hold them while I cut their nails, and even then I only managed the back paws and part of the front paws. You did great! I'm sure next time will be even easier 😊 Pip and Squeak look so sweet 🥰

Well done! 👏🏼

Snacks, plenty of snacks…. That’s our top tip!
Also sometimes it’s only one nail a day, depending on what mood the piggies are in. I always feel a sense of achievement when I manage to get all nails on a couple of paws done in one sitting.

I hope the huff didn’t last too long.
Thanks so much for the tips! Yes I had plenty of snacks at the ready - pea flakes & coriander😁
The huff didn’t last too long but it did tickle me!🤣

I always get someone else to hold them while I do my piggies nails - they would just run away otherwise, they hate having them done but if I get someone to hold them I can do the nails quicker and end the stress sooner! Mine don't eat while having their nails done as they are too scared, but I give them a treat the moment it's done and they immediately start acting happy and normal again. I think they've figured I'm not going to kill them, but they're never going to like it! It's impressive you managed not to make them bleed, first time I did their nails I accidentally cut the quick on one nail on each piggy, it was horrible 😭

I have to get my other half to hold my girls for me and then he has to watch out for the nips while I clip. He always says to them afterwards "its not me or its not my fault, its hers" but they do settle down better when he's holding them and I can get them done. Tho Mischief, 3 black paws, 11 black nails to clip without getting the quick.

I have to get my other half to hold my girls for me and then he has to watch out for the nips while I clip. He always says to them afterwards "its not me or its not my fault, its hers" but they do settle down better when he's holding them and I can get them done. Tho Mischief, 3 black paws, 11 black nails to clip without getting the quick.
yeah black nails are so hard to clip!

I'm going to have mine done at the pet store! Much rather have someone else deal with it.

My 3 and half year old doesn't fuss as much he use to wiggle out flip himself around, he hears its manicure time and just sulks while being held then gets lots of cuddles and a treat. the 4 month old now oh my wigggles turns himself i have sate with him cuddles done them but its a chore and the wheeks oh my you would think i was hurting him. The elder one looks on like kid whats the fuss. I find little hugs cuddles soft voice does the trick and then a little piece of apple or carrot and they are good

My 3 and half year old doesn't fuss as much he use to wiggle out flip himself around, he hears its manicure time and just sulks while being held then gets lots of cuddles and a treat. the 4 month old now oh my wigggles turns himself i have sate with him cuddles done them but its a chore and the wheeks oh my you would think i was hurting him. The elder one looks on like kid whats the fuss. I find little hugs cuddles soft voice does the trick and then a little piece of apple or carrot and they are good
omg that sounds like my Moss, the sad/scared wheeks just break my heart. I'm glad your piggy gets lots of cuddles 😊

Mischievous Master Boris screams like you've cut his leg off.... before you even have the clippers!

Back