• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Firs visit to the vets

• Thread starter Thread starter donnamarie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

donnamarie

Hi well Ollie had his first visit to the vets tonight, i was already going to take him at the weekend when it was open hours to have him fully checked over but tonight when we got home after work Rachel went to get him out straight away and we noticed some scabs on his back and some wounds where the scabs had come off. First thought was mites. Took him to vet and they thought the same but theres no sign of mites so we think its an injury off the rabbit he was housed with before i got him.
He's had a painkiller jab which the vet said would make him squeal but he didnt even flinch a muscle and he's on antibiotics for 5 days which i have to syringe into his mouth as he isnt drinking his water much.
Said once he settles in he should start eating more, he's hardly touched his dry mix. He has plenty of hay and loves carrots and cucumber which he had for his treat tonight.

Donna xx

It probably is mites as you can't see them unlike lice O0 Well done you for taking him to the vets who by the way sounds quite good giving the oral treatment which is much less stressful for the pigs ;)

Get better soon little Ollie :smitten:

Yeah still could be mites. Same thing happened to Cuzzy he had a very raw and sore rump. The vet took a sample with sellotape of all things and looked under a microscope to confirm the mites. I never saw any crawling just very red and dandruff like, quite horrible really! He had the needle too. Such a brave boy and I was brave watching him! :)

Hope Ollie is ok now, he should be!

Louise
x

Do not want to sound off with you in anyway but you cannot see mites its lice that you can see static or running lice. I think your vet may of got it wrong could you ask for a second opinion at the vets practice you used. The balding sounds like mites to me and your piggie will need a course of invomec three injection every 7 to 10 days ;)

They look like wounds though where the scabs come off would this happen with mites?
its right in the middle of his back.

Its not the actual mites its more the irritation they cause. Your piggy will scratch more and do itself harm O0

ok, ive never seen him scratch yet lol but i will be keeping my eye on him and if theres no change while he's on the antibiotics i will take him for a second opinion.
Thank you for your help everyone

This does sound like mites.You will need to get some Ivermectin from your vet.This is now available in a liquid form that can be put onto the skin.No need for the painful injections anymore.You will need to dose again 14 days after the first dose.

Get some gorgeous guineas shampoo to use in between the Ivermectin dosages,this will help a lot.Wait at least 48 hours after the Ivermectin before you shampoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back