Finding It Very Difficult To Locate A Pair Of Young Piggies To Adopt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worcestercat

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am presuming that this is not the best time of year to adopt baby/young piggies because I am really struggling. My girls and I really wanted to rescue a pair but it seems they have all been snapped up.

Perhaps using the Internet to search is not helping because every time I contact a rescue centre that I think has some, they tell me they don't.

I have tried centres around an hour away from me but maybe phoning them would be better.

Any help appreciated.

Walsall RSPCA often have younger piggies in 3-6 months, have you had a look on their website?

Are you based Worcester area? Taking a guess off your username :)

Welcome ot the forum

Lee

:)) Could you add it to your location on your profile just helps us tailor any advice to your area. Tagging in @furryfriends (TEAS) @Wiebke as they are over your neck of the woods and may be able to suggest somewhere

Hunsbury GP rescue? Honeybunnies in Leicester? RSPCA Milton Keynes? Animals In Need Northampton? Wood Green? I'm sure I'll think of some more! Given that most piggies live to between 6-8 years, a pair aged around 2-3 would still be with you for many years and are often more used to being handled than babies ( who can be REALLY fast!)

Thank you. The only one I haven't managed to contact is Hunsbury Guinea Pig Rescue due to lack of phone number.

Thanks for taking the time to reply though.

Hi and welcome!

It is great that you want to adopt, rather than shop, but are you sure that you really want just young guinea pigs? With children, adopting ex-pets that are used to human handling is often much better than wiggly babies that turn into teenagers within a few weeks and adults for the rest of a 5-7 years long life after a few months.
Children And Guinea Pigs - A Guide For Parents
Boars, sows or mixed pairs; babies or adults?

Quick Information Bundle For Wannabe Owners

Generally rescue born baby boars are paired up with an older boar in order to minimise the risk of fall-outs that is much greater with same age babies once they hit the teenage hormones. There are usually much more boars in rescue because they have been bought as babies without concern whether their personalities match. The ones you rehome from a rescue have been carefully bonded and are much more stable; but you will rather rarely find two babies unless they are very, very close and harmonious.

Here are the rescues that we can recommend and guarantee for as to their good standard and practice.
Guinea Pig Rescue Centre Locator

Yes, you are right. I am happy to have them around 2 years old but trust me when I say that my girls could do without only having them for 2 years...

I have explored all those websites so I think I need to start phoning them up because it can only be that websites are not up to date.

Thank you for your help.

Many rescues have piggies that are not advertised in their websites so a direct approach is always best. Good luck finding a pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back