Finding companion(s) for adult female

Cameron326

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there. I’d like some advice on finding a companion for a 3 year old female who recently lost her friend to illness. Unfortunately there aren’t many adoption possibilities where I live. I’ve contacted an agency but it currently doesn’t have any Guinea pigs for adoption. However there are also private people looking for adoptees for Guinea pigs they can no longer care for.

Anyway, I’ve read that an infant female would be the “safest” option in terms of acceptance/bonding. Does anyone know whether two female babies/infants would be a possible choice to bond with our current 3 year old female? There seem to be more female pairs available for adoption online than single females (unless go down the pet shop route).

For what it’s worth I have a very big 210cm c&c cage, so could alway separate them if they can’t bond having tried our best.

Thanks.

Sows tend to get on much better in groups, not more than pairs I mean better than boars.

Again it depends on the personalities of the pigs, 2 Babies could be a good option, I have not done this with sows but I have with my boars.
With my sows I have always introduced a single older one to an already bonded pair and I personally have had great success.

Again the minimum for this amount of pigs is 180x60cm, which seems like you are more than prepared for.

I think generally speaking you could go for either as in my time I have not had much issue, whereas some others may have a completely different experience. As for the guinea pig cycle perhaps getting an older pair may help close that gap, as you will get stuck if you go for the babies.

You may find these guides nice to read through if you haven't already -
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

One neutered boar or baby females are your best option. It does always depend on personalities though. Already bonded adult female pairs can work too but there’s is sometimes a possibility that the bonded pair stick together and three can have an odd one left out

Sows tend to get on much better in groups, not more than pairs I mean better than boars.

Again it depends on the personalities of the pigs, 2 Babies could be a good option, I have not done this with sows but I have with my boars.
With my sows I have always introduced a single older one to an already bonded pair and I personally have had great success.

Again the minimum for this amount of pigs is 180x60cm, which seems like you are more than prepared for.

I think generally speaking you could go for either as in my time I have not had much issue, whereas some others may have a completely different experience. As for the guinea pig cycle perhaps getting an older pair may help close that gap, as you will get stuck if you go for the babies.

You may find these guides nice to read through if you haven't already -
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Thank you

Further to my initial question - I now have a question about quarantine if I go for two babies. It seems the consensus is not to quarantine a single baby under 4 months. What about if there are two babies being introduced to a lone adult. Would you keep the two babies separate from the adult (in a different cage in the same room) or just go straight to a bonding play pen with the adult female? Thanks.

Further to my initial question - I now have a question about quarantine if I go for two babies. It seems the consensus is not to quarantine a single baby under 4 months. What about if there are two babies being introduced to a lone adult. Would you keep the two babies separate from the adult (in a different cage in the same room) or just go straight to a bonding play pen with the adult female? Thanks.

You are absolutely right that a single baby under four months of age cannot be quarantined.
A pair of youngsters, however, can and should be quarantined if they do not come from a reputable rescue centre. The youngsters would have each other so quarantine does not come with any issues in terms of companionship.
The only caveat to that is the single adult - if she is ok and tolerating being alone, then definitely go ahead with the quarantine of the youngsters. If, however, she is struggling and is in acute pining, then companionship comes first and bonding should happen straight away for her sake. Should the youngsters bring anything in, then all piggies would need to be treated.

Quarantine for newcomers is ideally done in a separate room to any resident piggy.

You have some very good advices from experts already. If I can add something, I currently have 2 boys living separately from one small boy in another cage close by. The two older boys already bonded and wouldn’t let a small boy come close, so I had to separate them.

You have some very good advices from experts already. If I can add something, I currently have 2 boys living separately from one small boy in another cage close by. The two older boys already bonded and wouldn’t let a small boy come close, so I had to separate them.

This is to be expected if you were trying to have three boys together - boar trios generally do not work.
The same is not the case for sows (which the OP has) who are wired to and will live in character compatible trios/groups/larger herds.

Hi again, I might have a choice of adopting either two 3 month year old females OR two 10 month year old females (who have both previously been pregnant and given birth - just in case that affects anything!). Which of these two options would - on average - be the safer option to live with my single 3 year old female? Thanks.

Hi again, I might have a choice of adopting either two 3 month year old females OR two 10 month year old females (who have both previously been pregnant and given birth - just in case that affects anything!). Which of these two options would - on average - be the safer option to live with my single 3 year old female? Thanks.

There’s not a sure fire answer because bonding always comes down to character compatibility - what looks good on paper doesn’t always come to fruition - but the 3 month old pair might be the safer option. Being youngsters they may appreciate being taken on by an older piggy.

Generally speaking, the babies will be easier to bond with your girl, as they always seem to sort of "look up" or go under the wing of a older pig. At least that is how it usually goes but it does depend on personality.

I think there is a bigger risk with the older girls, but even then you cant say what will happen and they are still quite young in themselves.
Either way I wish you all luck! x

Hi again. I'm still, looking for a couple of friends to keep my lone adult female guinea pig company. Very few possible ones come up in my area. I had thought I’d finally found a pair of females, and they are in genuine need of adoption and a nicer life. But at the last minute, their owner has told me they’re 2 years old (though I don’t think theyre sisters or related as very different colours). My lone adult female is 3 years old. Is there much chance these two could get along well enough with my one? Just to remind, i have a nice spacious cage, if that would help in any way. Or would it be more sensible to turn down these two, and wait for two babies/youngsters to accompany my adult female. Thanks.

Can you find a rescue that would do the bonding for you? This way they can try a few options like neutered boars or sows.It takes all the worry and stress out if it

Back