Finding A Vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizi

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Okay So I have yet to find a vet for my piggies! I have looked on the vet loactor and It said 60 miles away but I'm sure it's out of date or there are some vets around me.... Just wondering how can I find a vet near me without using the locator! I really need to give my pigs a check up And Also this is something very important since I live off of my parents pocket money and coind around the house, How much would a check up cost for 2 piggies? How much does your check up cost?

@Gizi
I think about £30 (for the consultation fee) and then if they require anything else that is added to the bill. I'm not sure whether that's expensive or not but it's the vets that my family have been going to for years.

@Gizi
I think about £30 (for the consultation fee) and then if they require anything else that is added to the bill. I'm not sure whether that's expensive or not but it's the vets that my family have been going to for years.
Yes it is quiet alot for me :P Dollars are double than pounds so it's $60 for me :(

My mistake! I've just looked back at the records I have and it's about £15 for the consultation for the pigs. I must have been thinking of the consultation fee for one of the other animals I have!

I would say so, yes. I've only ever taken them two at a time and that's what they've charged me. I'm not sure whether they would charge that for four pigs at a time or whether they'd charge me more. So I would say around £15 for two pigs. If they need any meds then the price of those is added to the bill.

Have a look on Google at local vets and then give them a call and ask if they are experience with guinea pigs :) my piggy vet isn't on the locator but they are experiences and I trust them :)

When I got my Guinea Pigs I phoned my vet that I use for my cat and they do Guinea Pigs and I was told it would be $65.00 per pig for the
consultation and I was like WHAT and she told me that Guinea Pigs are worse to find a problem then other animals because they are so small. So that would be $130.00 to take them both. It is a shame what vets cost. I just had my 1 cat put down 2 month back and it cost us $400.00 it was on a Sunday but still. If I ever need a visit I might phone around and check prices.

When I got my Guinea Pigs I phoned my vet that I use for my cat and they do Guinea Pigs and I was told it would be $65.00 per pig for the
consultation and I was like WHAT and she told me that Guinea Pigs are worse to find a problem then other animals because they are so small. So that would be $130.00 to take them both. It is a shame what vets cost. I just had my 1 cat put down 2 month back and it cost us $400.00 it was on a Sunday but still. If I ever need a visit I might phone around and check prices.
UK vets, usually £30 is average for consultation and minor treatment, booster. I usually say that much for a vet visit. Same as a private dentist appointment here too.

I took my two for a check over and it was £25 ish in our vet and about £34 when I took them in with a fungal something for the visit plus the treatment.

I don't drive and my nearest local Vet is a 15 minute walk. He charges £30 for a consultation for one piggie. I don't know if he would charge more for 2. I am not sure if he is particularly pig-savvy, but I like and trust him. In 2008, when I had to have 2 sick piggies PTS within 2 weeks of each other, he did not charge me for the 2nd one.

It's always worth getting a recommendation from someone you trust. Lots of vets don't have much experience of Guinea Pigs and they are often classed as an exotic pet because of this. It's worth travelling that little bit further if you can to get a really experienced vet as piggies are very good at hiding illnesses and can be difficult to diagnose and treat.

There's nothing wrong with going for a visit and finding out what they offer service wise. Some vets are very loathe to prescribe any drugs off license for guinea pigs and seeing as there is very little that IS licensed for piggies it is important to have a vet that is willing to discuss options with you and try medication that is useful in piggies but doesn't have the licensing (this is a problem in the drugs industry - research is too costly to do for every species so most things are licensed for larger animals but very little is licensed for use in small furries as they are not a large part of the market...)

Agree with others; talk to people you trust as to who they'd recommend as a guinea pig veterinarian; too, you can check with local guinea pig rescues as to who treats THEIR pigs. I live in the States and I'm SO lucky to have a great vet within walking distance of my apartment. Yes, treatment DOES cost, but he's always very upfront about the price of treatment, the types of treatment, and all options involved. You may have to check around for a while, but in the long run it'll be worth it for both you and the pigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back