Finding a boar

Jemma_1

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,
Unfortunately one of my boars passed yesterday. We had spent quite a while treating his illnesses and once he got over one, he then got another! We’re going to miss him terribly but at least he’s no longer suffering.
I am now looking for a friend for my youngest.
For context I originally had 2 boars, who were bonded brothers. When Gary died I went to a Guinea pig rescue to get Monty as a companion for my older boar Maguire. Now that Maguire has passed I am looking for a friend for Monty. Monty is 11 months old and a bit of a nervous pig.
I have been in contact with every rescue in my area, I have looked on here at the suggested rescues too. The only boar that might be suitable is one that is 5 months.
This particular rescue hasn’t offered much information. I’ve asked about the bonding process and no response. All they will tell me is they have 1 boar that’s 5 months old.
My questions are 1. Is 5 months too old to bond, particularly as Monty isn’t used to being the dominant pig.
2. If so, what do I do? Really struggling to find a suitable match for my little piggy.
Thanks in advance, Jem.

I’m so sorry for your loss.

Bonding teenage boars can be trickier but not impossible as it all comes down to compatibility. The reality is that you don’t know until you try a bonding. We would recommend a younger piggy only because they wont challenge but that doesn’t mean to say an older youngster is bound to fail.

The alternative would be neutering, having the six weeks wait post op, and also looking into sows to open up your options. If a suitable boar came up in the meantime, then you can still go down that route. (Once boars have lived with sows they don’t tend to want to go back go living with a boar in the future - being back in a bachelor pairing is seen as a demotion in status).

I’m so sorry for your loss.

Bonding teenage boars can be trickier but not impossible as it all comes down to compatibility. The reality is that you don’t know until you try a bonding. We would recommend a younger piggy only because they wont challenge but that doesn’t mean to say an older youngster is bound to fail.

The alternative would be neutering, having the six weeks wait post op, and also looking into sows to open up your options. If a suitable boar came up in the meantime, then you can still go down that route. (Once boars have lived with sows they don’t tend to want to go back go living with a boar in the future - being back in a bachelor pairing is seen as a demotion in status).
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I think the lack of correspondence from the rescue is what’s holding me back more so than the age of the boar. But I think I’ll try contacting again.
I hadn’t considered neutering and adopting sows. I will look in this too.
Thanks 😊

Also if anyone know of any rescues near Lincoln that I might have missed, I’d love suggestions.
I’ve looked as far afield as Doncaster so far.

Emailing the rescue often works best as they are so busy and opening up from the Christmas Break. It might help if you can put in which area/County of the UK you in so anyone on here who has a single boar will know roughly where you are

Good luck, it’s lovely you are putting your single piggie first. I am so sorry for your loss :hug:

Emailing the rescue often works best as they are so busy and opening up from the Christmas Break. It might help if you can put in which area/County of the UK you in so anyone on here who has a single boar will know roughly where you are

Good luck, it’s lovely you are putting your single piggie first. I am so sorry for your loss :hug:
Oops your last post just came in as I posted. Lincolnshire doesn’t seem to have any on the rescue list, Doncaster is a really good rescue though, keep plugging away with them if you can 🤞

Oops your last post just came in as I posted. Lincolnshire doesn’t seem to have any on the rescue list, Doncaster is a really good rescue though, keep plugging away with them if you can 🤞
Thank you! Hopefully we find a good match for him soon 🤞🏻

Also if anyone know of any rescues near Lincoln that I might have missed, I’d love suggestions.
I’ve looked as far afield as Doncaster so far.
Hi and welcome

HUGS

I am very sorry for your loss.

Please accept that rescues have been closed over the holidays and that there is a bit of a build up of messages etc. All rescues run on a voluntary basis and rescue life can be very hectic, especially with very ill piggies or a larger emergency intake, which do not stop even at Christmas. Just be patient and try again.
If you can get as far as Cavy Corner in Doncaster, then you'll get to the best rescue in your neck of the woods where you and your boy will be in very safe and experienced hands. I can't recommend them warmly enough, and so can a number of our forum members. It's well worth the longer journey! :)
I second the advice from @Piggies&buns . As long as your boy is eating and drinking, he will actually keep for a few weeks while you explore your available options and choose the best one for you for the long term. A lot depends on your local availabilities. Give your bereaved boy time to do his own grieving; he will come out of it sooner than you. You only need to bond asap if a piggy is acutely pining, i.e. not eating and drinking and giving up on life (plus having them vet checked); this is thankfully not all that common. It is much better for the longer term to not rush out, to do your research and think things through, depending on which options are open to you. Sue Tate from Cavy Corner may also help to advise you based on what she has got in and available for adoption - and who she uses for boar neutering if you struggle in your own area.

Crucial for the long term is a personality match.

You may find the very practical information and advice in these links helpful for your research.
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care (important is access to a vet with experience with guinea pig neutering)
Here is some help for yourself if you struggle with your own grieving process or are taken unawares by strong emotions and get stuck on thought patterns you were not expecting, including the strong feelings of guilt or failure that are characteristic for the onset: Human Bereavement: Grieving, Processing and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

Hi and welcome

HUGS

I am very sorry for your loss.

Please accept that rescues have been closed over the holidays and that there is a bit of a build up of messages etc. All rescues run on a voluntary basis and rescue life can be very hectic, especially with very ill piggies or a larger emergency intake, which do not stop even at Christmas. Just be patient and try again.
If you can get as far as Cavy Corner in Doncaster, then you'll get to the best rescue in your neck of the woods where you and your boy will be in very safe and experienced hands. I can't recommend them warmly enough, and so can a number of our forum members. It's well worth the longer journey! :)
I second the advice from @Piggies&buns . As long as your boy is eating and drinking, he will actually keep for a few weeks while you explore your available options and choose the best one for you for the long term. A lot depends on your local availabilities. Give your bereaved boy time to do his own grieving; he will come out of it sooner than you. You only need to bond asap if a piggy is acutely pining, i.e. not eating and drinking and giving up on life (plus having them vet checked); this is thankfully not all that common. It is much better for the longer term to not rush out, to do your research and think things through, depending on which options are open to you. Sue Tate from Cavy Corner may also help to advise you based on what she has got in and available for adoption - and who she uses for boar neutering if you struggle in your own area.

Crucial for the long term is a personality match.

You may find the very practical information and advice in these links helpful for your research.
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care (important is access to a vet with experience with guinea pig neutering)
Here is some help for yourself if you struggle with your own grieving process or are taken unawares by strong emotions and get stuck on thought patterns you were not expecting, including the strong feelings of guilt or failure that are characteristic for the onset: Human Bereavement: Grieving, Processing and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children
Thank you.
We have been responded to by the rescues in our area and I have asked them to bare us in mind should they have any that need homes.
I will definitely look into Cavy Corner, thanks.
I messaged rather quickly after Maguires passing due to our previous experience (when Gary died, Maguire became very subdued and just wanted to be near us). I had expected a similar reaction this time, but I think Monty is probably fed up of us checking in on him! 😂 It’s good to know that he could have a little longer on his own. I’m keen to find a good match for him, he’s not been a dominant pig so he’s working out the new dynamic. I think he’s enjoying not having to wait for his turn at the food bowl!

Back