Finally...new Piggy Owners By Next Week.few Last Minute Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeakyclean

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Finally after lots of guinea pig studying etc,our new piggys will be with us next week.
Which hay is best for eating/sleeping.?
Do you give pellets and veggies at same time or split up throughout day?
Which treats,pellets tobavoid (i know some have honey etc)
Was planning on using a puppy pad to protect new hutch with newspaper and something else as allergic to wood shavings.Any suggestions please.?
I dare say I will have a few more next week....super excited

Hi and welcome!
1) timothy hay is quite stalky, so not ideal for a sleeping area; you are better off with softer meadow or orchard hay.
2) It is better to give pellets and veg in portions that can be eaten in one go 2-3 times in a day in a bowl each per piggy. this prevents food hogging by the dominant piggy and also peeing into the pellets, as some youngsters are prone to. As hay should make up to 80% of the daily food intake for good long term gut and dental health, your piggies won't go hungry if you leave them with an unlimited supply of hay.
3) Avoid any shop treat that contain any form of sugar/honey, dairy (including yoghurt) and that contains seeds, nuts or similar stuff. It is better to give dried forage or readigrass in small quantities every now and then or use their favourite veg as a treat.
4) There are alternative materials you can use instead of wood chippings, like fitch, which is made from hemp. Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

You may find our information bundle for new owners helpful. We also have got lots if information and guides at the top of our Care sections, but you are always welcome to ask any questions at any time in there.
" Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners

Because we have got members and enquiries from all over the world, we find it helpful if you please added your country, state/province or UK county, so we can always tailor any advice and recommendation to what is available and doable where you are and also take your climate into account where necessary. click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you!

Finally after lots of guinea pig studying etc,our new piggys will be with us next week.
Which hay is best for eating/sleeping.?
Do you give pellets and veggies at same time or split up throughout day?
Which treats,pellets tobavoid (i know some have honey etc)
Was planning on using a puppy pad to protect new hutch with newspaper and something else as allergic to wood shavings.Any suggestions please.?
I dare say I will have a few more next week....super excited

:wel:
It's so exciting getting piggies isn't it?! I must warn you though you may end up quite addicted :D
So I use meadow hay from b&m and the 5 a day Timothy hay from the range for my boys although they are extremely fussy lately with their hay! They mainly eat the meadow one at the moment but I have just received the sample pack from hay and straw and they are loving the ing hay!
As for pellets I use harringtons optimum and split the portion per piggie into two as I do with the veggies so they get breakfast and tea :D I find this much easier as they have a distraction and something too look forward too.
Treats for my boys are carrot/baby plum tomatoes and apple which are fed once a week I also use this as bonding time, sat with them. I also sprinkle natural forage and salad that I buy from b&m onto their hay piles which encourages them to use their foraging instincts rather than be sat in front of a bowl or something ( plus sometimes it's the only way I can encourage them to go back into their homes at night :D )
I hope I've helped I know it can be overwhelming but you have found a gem of a forum here everyone is very supportive and will offer advice when you need it :D
Xx

Congrats .Many people line the hutch with lino or stick on tiles.Some put them on the walls as well so it all wipes clean.I use aubiouse as my son is asthmatic.It is hemp based with no dust whatsoever.

Thank you so much. I have bought dust extracted meadow hay but noticed some had greener hay for eating and also do I need the salt lick blocks?. Thank you again.Can't wait to put photos up.Have tried to rescue but not much at all as in rescues in Scotland.x

I use Alfalfa King Timothy Hay as eating hay as its stalky and good for their teeth. I use soft meadow hay as bedding all over the floor.
I feed pellets once a day at the same time, and veggies twice daily at the same time. Guinea pigs like routine so try to feed at the same times each day. If you are getting boars, have the same number of food bowls as number of boars.
I only feed dried herbs as treats, and give them willow or grass toys to chew.
I line my cages with Back 2 Nature litter, then top with a layer of meadow hay. It can be expensive to use this method though. I have a 5ft x 2ft cage which takes around 10 litres of litter to line the floor. But its very absorbent and it's not dusty.
Guinea pigs don't need salt lick blocks. With the correct diet, they'll get all the nutrients they need.

Enjoy your guinea pigs, they are amazing animals! :yahoo:

You could also try using fleece bedding if you're allergic to other stuff. If you look for squeak dreams channel on YouTube she uses fleece bedding. So does skinnypigs1 and a couple of others.

I bought a salt lick block and my guineas barely touched it, to the point I removed it to prevent clutter.
I use Timothy Hay and Premium Vit C Pellets (can't remember the name).
I use newspaper and wood shavings (not helpful for you) but I have to clean them out at least once a week as it gets soggy very quickly - So I have found this very helpful to try and prevent the dampness.

For my sins I am prone to not having a routine with my guineas feeding - I didn't realise this was important so will now try and introduce this into their daily life. I find adding Vit C powder to their water gives them an extra boost (I may be wrong).

If you are unsure what Veg is good/bad and how often it should be fed to them, there are plenty of guides on the internet to help you!

There are some very useful threads on this forum ...

The only wood shavings we would advise are dust extracted . Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

Guinea pigs shouldn't need supplements ( vit C - or other supplements ) if they get the correct diet Recommendations For A Balanced General Guinea Pig Diet

We do not advise Vut C is added to water for several reasons ...
it is not necessary
Vic C deteriorates when exposed to light
the flavour of the vit C may discourage your guinea pigs from drinking their water

There are some very useful threads on this forum ...

The only wood shavings we would advise are dust extracted . Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

Guinea pigs shouldn't need supplements ( vit C - or other supplements ) if they get the correct diet Recommendations For A Balanced General Guinea Pig Diet

We do not advise Vut C is added to water for several reasons ...
it is not necessary
Vic C deteriorates when exposed to light
the flavour of the vit C may discourage your guinea pigs from drinking their water

I was under the impression that Vitamin C just passes through them in their urine if they have too much? If my Guineas have been on it for a few months already (They drink plenty), should I take them off it?

Thank you
Tyler

I was under the impression that Vitamin C just passes through them in their urine if they have too much? If my Guineas have been on it for a few months already (They drink plenty), should I take them off it?

Thank you
Tyler

If your Guinea Pigs eating vit c rich veg such as bell peppers / coriander , they don't need a Vit C supplement

They have plenty of pepper in their diet. Not enough to cause them wind but enough for their Vit C intake I guess.
I shall start reducing the amount I put in until I don't put any in :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back