Filing Nails ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddydee

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Read somewhere here you can file nails. In the past used clippers but that was with clear nails. The girlies have black nails so I'm wary.
How successful is filing ..any tips ?
The girls lowere pen is on concrete I was advised this would help nails..
Thankyou

I file my boys nails with an emery board. Fine grain. I sit them on my lap and gently hold a foot and file 3 times in one direction only as to avoid snagging and distress. They are not bothered by filing and sit quite nicely. I cut them first after a month of having them and then kept on top by filing once a week. Have not had to cut since. I find it less stressful for them and myself but I guess it very much depends on your piggies personality.

May give this a go for my girls, they have very sharp little claws which I cut regularly for the sake of keeping the sharp bit off, but filing might be better. Do you have to hold their foot?

May give this a go for my girls, they have very sharp little claws which I cut regularly for the sake of keeping the sharp bit off, but filing might be better. Do you have to hold their foot?
exactly why I file. Also as they are naked, I find it better as it keeps the edges blunt and they cant cut their skin. :)

definitely need to give this a go! found a scratch on little man the other day I was mortified! I cut them roughly every 2 weeks but obviously that was no enough for his naked skin! bad piggy mum!

definitely need to give this a go! found a scratch on little man the other day I was mortified! I cut them roughly every 2 weeks but obviously that was no enough for his naked skin! bad piggy mum!
You are def not a bad piggy mum! Things have to happen for us to learn from them x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back