Fighting

Tink29

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My two boys are 7 months. Over last few weeks I have noticed them chattering at each other and one chasing the other now and again.

I noticed a drop of blood the other day in cage but couldn’t see an injury.

Today I’ve found several drops of blood and one of the Guinea pigs has a bite mark to his back which is about half the size of a penny. It’s a open wound but has stopped bleeding.

I’ve separated them. Where do I go from here? Had it gone too far for them to live together?

They cage they are in is a C&C cage and larger then required so I know they have enough space & they are getting out of cage regularly and have plenty in cage to keep them occupied.

I am cooling some boiled water the bathe the wound.

Thanks for advice!

So sorry your boys have had a fight and drawn blood. This usually means the end if their bond. Unfortunately they are experiencing a high hormone spike as teenagers and this can turn into strong dominance and sometimes ultimately aggression. I would keep them side by side for now. A wound that size should be seen by a vet as wounds can lead to cysts, infection and abscesses.
At such a young age you may want to think about neutering and getting each boy a sow. Your best chance for bonding after neutering is finding a good rescue who will pair them up with a lady each. Have a read through this guide it may help you

Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Good luck 🤞

Last edited:
I’m sorry to hear about the fight. i agree with Bill&Ted.
They are now hormonal teenagers and this is when any incompatibilities can come to light.
If they have had an actual fight then sadly it means the end of their bond and they will need to be kept separately by living side by side with interaction through the bars only.

They are now hormonal teenagers and this is when any incompatibilities can come to light.
If they have had an actual fight then sadly it means the end of their bond and they will need to be kept separately by living side by side with interaction through the bars only.
Thanks for reply…. One has a bite on his back but there are no other signs on either of them of actually fighting. Do you think we could keep them separated through bars for now and try to reintroduce in future? Or will they not be able to be rebonded?

So sorry your boys have had a fight and drawn blood. This usually means the end if their bond. Unfortunately they are experiencing a high hormone spike as teenagers and this can turn into strong dominance and sometimes ultimately aggression. I would keep them side by side for now. A wound that size should be seen by a vet as wounds can lead to cysts, infection and abscesses.
At such a young age you may want to think about neutering and getting each boy a sow. Your best chance for bonding after neutering is finding a good rescue who will pair them up with a lady each. Have a read through this guide it may help you

Good luck 🤞
Thanks for reply. We don’t have the space for more I’m afraid so that’s not an option. I presume they’ve been fighting as one has a wound on his back but there are no other marks on either of them. Will get dividers for cage and take from there!

Thanks for reply…. One has a bite on his back but there are no other signs on either of them of actually fighting. Do you think we could keep them separated through bars for now and try to reintroduce in future? Or will they not be able to be rebonded?

A rebond when there has been an injury would not usually be recommended. Those kinds of bites and injuries generally only occur when piggies don’t like each other and once they decide they don’t like each other, they don’t change their minds.
If you wish to try it then you can but be very ready with oven gloves to separate them because the chances are it will happen again.

To live separated they each need a minimum of a 2x3 cage side by side.

do all your hides have two exits?
how big is their cage?

If they were neutered and had a new lady friend each, then c&c cages can be stacked one on top of the other (cages cannot be stacked for single piggies so consequently take up more space, for separated piggies you are looking at a minimum of a 6x2 (so they can have a minimum of a 3x2 each)).
Therefore, you could have a set of stacked 2x4 cages (which will obviously only take up the floor space of one 2x4) and have a bonded neutered boar/sow pair in each cage

Last edited:
Their cage is 6x2 c&c cage & all of the hides have 2 exits. Will separate with dividers. The Guinea pigs are my little boys (obviously with help from us) and we aren’t in position to be looking after 4 I’m afraid. Thank you for advice.

We are divided cage today after one being in another cage for the night. The wound has scabbed over - we bathed with sterile water! They are chewing bars and crying to be with each other 🙈Is it not worth trying them together again or trying them on mutual ground ?

We are divided cage today after one being in another cage for the night. The wound has scabbed over - we bathed with sterile water! They are chewing bars and crying to be with each other 🙈Is it not worth trying them together again or trying them on mutual ground ?
I would let them settle for a week or two before you try and rebond them. If you decide to have a go at rebonding make sure you do it in neutral territory with nothing of their scent and nothing but a big pile of hay. Have a read too if the bonding guides and be ready to separate with oven gloves or a dust pan

Their reaction to separation is totally normal and does not necessarily mean they want to be together for positive reasons. Things like bar chewing and laying against the divider are territory marking exercises and not postive signs.

If you wish to try one neutral territory reintroduction then you can but you must be prepared to separate as they are likely to have another fight. We don’t recommend reintroduction after a blood causing injury. Once they fight enough to cause injury the bond is broken and they don’t change their minds about that.

A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

Back