Fighting piggies

LilyandNugget

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My piggies have always been good friends until I got this hidey. They fight over it a lot. Since Nugget is the more dominant one here, Lily rarely gets to go in the hidey. Lily tries to get in but Nugget doesn’t let her and then she kicks her out. I hear Lily squealing loudly sometimes. I see no scars or blood. Should I get another one or do I just remove it?

Does the hide have two exits? If it only has one, then it’s best to remove it as all hides should have two exits.
If a hide only has one exit, then one piggy can trap the other inside, or if they both try to go in and the one at the back has no way to get out, then this is how problems and injuries can occur

The hide only has one exit. I didn’t know that hides should have two exits. Thank you for telling. I’ll remove it from their cage.

Please always get as many huts or tunnels as you have guinea pigs but make sure that they have two exits. This prevents any fights over huts, and allows the under-piggy to get out easily and have their own patch.
You can either have the huts in parallel in the middle of the cage like backyard garages or at either end so no piggy can control both at the same time. The huts should also ideally be the same, so there are no fights over the best patch.

I would also recommend that you sprinkle your veg and pellets around the cage to prevent food fights.

The leader always has first choice to the best/safest place and to food; this can lead to disputes, especially after arrival and during teenage when the big hormones kick in for both genders.

Back