Fighting males drawn blood

PipScamp

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there. I had two brothers and we lost one leaving his little mate all alone.
I thought it was better he had a friend so took on a younger male who wasn't getting on with his buddies.
They've been living in a divided C&C set up with regular supervised playdates. There's been some scuffles but nothing too alarming but today the newer piggy has a little cut on his mouth.
So they've not gone back in their separate areas. The other one also had a scratch on his nose.

The one with the cut is running around still trying to stretch up for food. I used some animal spray on his lip and there was no squeaking as I cleaned him up. Not like if I try and brush his hair

They can see each other now through the cage and both calm but what to do?

I'd appreciate any advice thanks 😊

Welcome to the forum and I’m sorry for your loss

Two piggies need to be compatible to be able to form a bond. If scuffles are occurring then sadly it is probable they are not compatible, and will never be able to live together.
Two piggies who are not compatible will need to live permanently side by side so they can still interact through the bars. As you have a c&c cage, each piggy will need a 3x2 cage to themselves.

It is also important to mention that you cannot do regular playdates with boars. For them, bonding is a one time event - all or nothing on that one day. You put them on neutral territory for several hours and see if they can get on. If they do get on, then they move into their permanent cage together on that day. If they don’t get on in the bonding pen, they then need to remain separated permanently.

If you put them together, then separate, then put them together again it means the bonding is interrupted every time. Each time they go back together they need to start right back at the start but never get to see the process through to the end due to the next separation. This causes them lot of stress and can, cause a bonding to fail.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

Please be careful using such sprays. It is better to use a homemade saline solution to clean any wounds, seeking vet advice if the wound is anything other than a superficial scratch

Back