Fighting Guinea Pigs!

• Thread starter Thread starter lewisb89
  • Start date Start date

I have 2 guinea pigs and 1 of them has babies and they keep fighting I have seperated them but what

• Keep them sperated for a while

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep them seperated forever

• Let them be with each other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lewisb89

I got two guinea pigs for christmas and they kept fighting. :'( One of them got pregnant and had babies and they still fought each other.So I sperated them.

P.S. What should I do now.Email Me

If they are really going at each other they need to be kept apart . It is possible with time and patience you may be able to bond them. But they just may not be compatable.
How many males and females do you have and who is living with who?

I have 2 Females that are around 4 months old and one of them has babies wich we think one is a boy and one is a girl.

It could be that the mother is protecting her young. Was she pregnant when you got her then? How old are the babies now? It's prob a good idea to keep them separated until at least babies are weined(sp) of mum. You will need to find out the sex of the babies asap because males can father babies very young. Sorry if you know all this already, just incase you dont. :)

Where are my manors, welcome by the way. :)

def think mum is being protective of her babies, especially after what ahppened to me tonight when cleaning my lot out we put marley and her 2 daughters Ava and Edie aged 4 weeks today in the girls run while i cleaned their one out and marley was very protective and not too happy if any of the girls went to investigate as they do, marleys still feeding them so am going to wait until marleys had enough until they get put in the main run with the herd, I've got no doubt they will all be fine when the timings right and I'll let mum tell me when shes had enough

Might be a good idea to sex them so you dont end up with any more babies and so that you know what sex piggys you have... this may make a big differance as 2 boys cannot live with girls or they will war. If you are not 100% sure if you take them along to a vet they will sex them for you and probably not charge you too much! Second thing is what kind of fighting? Could you describe what they are doing? Are they actually fighting with each other? Are there any wounds on either of them? Are the babies also fighting now or just the adults?

lewisb89 said:
One of them got pregnant and had babies
You said one got pregnant not that one was pregnant. If the boy is un-neutered then they shouldn't be together, regardless of fighting or not. In fact, if they were together when she gave birth and afterwards, she very well may be pregnant again. Please take him out if he is not neutered.

I do agree, however, that it could very well be her protecting her young. It also may be that he tried to mate with her again and she was making it apparent that she didn't want him to. They should definitely be separated.

Kimmie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back