Fighting but I cant seperate them

• Thread starter Thread starter Racheylcg
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Racheylcg

I have a really bad problem. Milly and TRixy live in the same cage, but recently theyve started fighting. In their cage its just clambouring over eachother to get the food, but once their in the hall or in their pen, its chasing eachother and actually biting(and yes, I've checked them for abcesses:they dont have any but their skin is sore where they nipped.I've already cleaned the sores.) I dont think I need to seperate them in their cage, but should I let them have floor time at different times?

If they are hurting each other they obviously need to be separated from each other. If it means they have to have their floor time apart I would start doing it asap. Also keep a very close eye on them in the hutch too as it it unusual for them to only bicker when out.

I would seperate when out of the cage and see if that helps. If they aren't fighting in the cage then just watch them for now. Do they have two bowls for food and water etc? I've had to do this with my girls and it has helped in calming them down.

Louise
:)

Racheylcg said:
I am pretty sure they arent doing it in the hutch, but when I give them seperate floor time they get scared and wont budge from my lap!
I'm getting a new one of these: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/pens_fencing/14543 , so could I split it in half with chiken wire? Would they still be able to interact?

If they're biting one another i wouldn't use chicken wire as the holes are quite large & they could still get to one another.
I have mesh dividers in 2 of my hutches & have used Wilkinsons cage mesh - my boys can still interact but can't harm one another  :)

PerfectPiggies said:
:o They need to be seperated!
Sorry but I cant seperate them in their cage. I am not allowed more piggies or another cage. In their outdoor run, they are too interested in eating grass to fight, and in their pen they are too busy playing. Its only in the hallway.

Are they Boars (boys) or Sows (girls) ? very rare for Sows to be like this though but mine were awful together untill I put a Boar in with them ;)
How big is thier cage/hutch? if its less than 4ft this could be why they are being like they are they need lots of space to chill out and run about. I know they get run time but thier home do need to be 4ft min

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back