Fighting brothers

Samjazzginger

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi
I have 2 male Guinea pigs who are 5 months old, they are brothers and have always got on well , there has been the occasional teeth chattering and dominance attempts from them both, but they generally have always gotten on well with each other , this morning I heard allot of banging and squeaking from there enclosure and one of them has bitten and drawn blood on the other. I have separated them , my question is will they have to be separate from now on or do you think they may be able to go back together ? Is having them both neutered and then getting them a female friend each a better idea ?
Thank you

Welcome and I’m sorry to hear this.

I’m afraid as it has been a full injury causing fight then I’m afraid they must remain apart permanently now as they are not compatible. Unfortunately being brothers does not mean they will be compatible for the long term as a bond relies on character compatibility first and foremost (boar pairs also need a lot of space - a 6ft cage). They can hit their teens (which your boys have just done) and decide they don’t like each other.

They can remain in separate cages with interaction through the bars. This will stave off loneliness and is an acceptable way of living.
If you can manage four piggies, then neutering them both, having the six week post op wait for them to beclme infertile and then finding them each a character compatible sow is certainly a good idea.

Ensure the cage for a neutered boar/sow pair is 150x60cm.

Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

I have brothers who fell out early on. They have a long term health condition so aren't fit enough for neutering. But they've lived as neighbours for nearly 2 years now just fine.

They like the company and they'll hang out near each other at the divider, but they just don't want to share turf.

I have brothers who fell out early on. They have a long term health condition so aren't fit enough for neutering. But they've lived as neighbours for nearly 2 years now just fine.

They like the company and they'll hang out near each other at the divider, but they just don't want to share turf.
Thank you , I have some new indoor runs/pens coming tomorrow which I’m going to put next to each other so they can chat and see each other and like yours hang out next to each other if that’s what they want , I’m going to make an appointment at the vets to check there okay to be neutered.

Back