Fighting boars

Cambridge Piggles

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My two young pigs are fighting. :(
They had a tussle with the two of them rolling around. No obvious wounds. Now they are both eating hay together like nothing happened. I’ve read the section on pigs sorting out dominance but I’m finding it hard to judge what’s ’too Much’. I don’t know exactly when to separate :/ any advice would be appreciated !

I’m sorry to hear that.

An actual rolling around/locked together fight is concerning. That is much more than just dominance.

Check their bodies closely, part their hair etc.
My two youngsters don’t live together due to a fight and although one looked fine they both actually had bite wounds.

As they’ve gone back as if nothing has happened, with any luck one just took a movement the wrong way and overreacted rather than it being a full bond break but I would keep an incredibly close eye on them and have a plan for a separation. If they aren’t compatible then a further fight will occur and in this case you would sadly need to permanently separate.

I’m sorry to hear that.

An actual rolling around/locked together fight is concerning. That is much more than just dominance.

Check their bodies closely, part their hair etc.
My two youngsters don’t live together due to a fight and although one looked fine they both actually had bite wounds.

As they’ve gone back as if nothing has happened, with any luck one just took a movement the wrong way and overreacted rather than it being a full bond break but I would keep an incredibly close eye on them and have a plan for a separation. If they aren’t compatible then a further fight will occur and in this case you would sadly need to permanently separate.
Really gutted. I’m planning for neutering and getting some sows for them. Would you recommend getting them each two sows each or one? Which is better? I have 2x5 c&c cage and have the money to make another one and care for as many pigs as needed. Like I said I’ve stopped all my Botox and filler treatments so will have a huge amount of money for pig care. Just want the boys to be happy. Ive picked them up and can’t see any hair loss or bites but I'm concerned about what will happen when I'm at work. I’ve asked my mum to check on them. X

Really gutted. I’m planning for neutering and getting some sows for them. Would you recommend getting them each two sows each or one? Which is better? I have 2x5 c&c cage and have the money to make another one and care for as many pigs as needed. Like I said I’ve stopped all my Botox and filler treatments so will have a huge amount of money for pig care. Just want the boys to be happy. Ive picked them up and can’t see any hair loss or bites but I'm concerned about what will happen when I'm at work. I’ve asked my mum to check on them. X

Hopefully it doesn’t come to anything and you don’t need to separate them but having a plan is always good.
I know it’s upsetting. I know I’ve told you that I have a bonded pair of boys and then two singles. When the two young boys fell out, although I had a plan, it just threw everything into a bit of chaos!

It’s not a case of one or two sows being better as such - it all comes down to character and how well they can form a bond.
The issue with odd numbers of piggies is that there can be an outsider situation - two can end up closer and one gets left out. The sows will have a hierarchy between them which the boar is not part of. He is only part of group hierarchy. If the sows have any kind of disagreement the boar is likely to side with one the sows.
With that said there are many many happy mixed sex trios!

A 2x5 is big enough for a boar and two sows though.
If you need to save space then the two cages can be stacked on top of one another (but only once they are bonded with another piggy - during any time they are single they must remain side by side)

The best way to find a new friend(s) is with the help of a rescue centre (once neutered and six week post op safe). They can help ensure compatibility. Some bonded sows just won’t accept another piggy in with them, even a boar, but that tends to be a bit more when they are older.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

Hopefully it doesn’t come to anything and you don’t need to separate them but having a plan is always good.
I know it’s upsetting. I know I’ve told you that I have a bonded pair of boys and then two singles. When the two young boys fell out, although I had a plan, it just threw everything into a bit of chaos!

It’s not a case of one or two sows being better as such - it all comes down to character and how well they can form a bond.
The issue with odd numbers of piggies is that there can be an outsider situation - two can end up closer and one gets left out. The sows will have a hierarchy between them which the boar is not part of. He is only part of group hierarchy. If the sows have any kind of disagreement the boar is likely to side with one the sows.
With that said there are many many happy mixed sex trios!

A 2x5 is big enough for a boar and two sows though.
If you need to save space then the two cages can be stacked on top of one another (but only once they are bonded with another piggy - during any time they are single they must remain side by side)

The best way to find a new friend(s) is with the help of a rescue centre (once neutered and six week post op safe). They can help ensure compatibility. Some bonded sows just won’t accept another piggy in with them, even a boar, but that tends to be a bit more when they are older.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
Thanks for the advice :) I’ve checked my local rescue and no females available bizarrely ! Just tons of males!

Thanks for the advice :) I’ve checked my local rescue and no females available bizarrely ! Just tons of males!

Actually that is sadly not all that uncommon.
Boars quite often get left due to the very undeserved reputation for being difficult.
Also, if people want a herd in one cage then it has to be sows so they get chosen first.
Of course you can’t add other piggies to boar pairs and a lot of people aren’t going to have the space or time to be able to have multiple cages of boar pairs as the way of having more piggies.

Could you consider bonding them with another boar each rather than neutering/sows?

Also though, just checking websites isn’t always the best way to see what they have available, an actual phone call would be needed to be sure. Sometimes rescues will not advertise single piggies on their websites.

Actually that is sadly not all that uncommon.
Boars quite often get left due to the very undeserved reputation for being difficult.
Also, if people want a herd in one cage then it has to be sows so they get chosen first.
Of course you can’t add other piggies to boar pairs and a lot of people aren’t going to have the space or time to be able to have multiple cages of boar pairs as the way of having more piggies.

Could you consider bonding them with another boar each rather than neutering/sows?

Also though, just checking websites isn’t always the best way to see what they have available, an actual phone call would be needed to be sure. Sometimes rescues will not advertise single piggies on their websites.
Ahhhh I never thought about them not advertising singles! I’ll give woodgreen a call later :) they just had another huge fight with definite biting :( this is so sad to see. Shall I separate them now then? I don’t want them to become seriously injured .

Ahhhh I never thought about them not advertising singles! I’ll give woodgreen a call later :) they just had another huge fight with definite biting :( this is so sad to see. Shall I separate them now then? I don’t want them to become seriously injured .

Yes, separate. I’m sorry their bond hasn’t worked out. I know it’s upsetting but they will be happier apart.

Yes do call them. Wood green have always been very helpful (they are my local rescue too - we probably aren’t too far away from each other!)

Yes, separate. I’m sorry their bond hasn’t worked out. I know it’s upsetting but they will be happier apart.

Yes do call them. Wood green have always been very helpful (they are my local rescue too - we probably aren’t too far away from each other!)
along time ago I got a cat from woodgreen and they were great :)

I’ve put c&c dividers in for now and later will set up a second c&c. Luckily I bought a shed load of grids!

Do you have cable ties available? If so, use them to secure the grids so they can’t try to force their way through (sorry, don’t want to worry you while you’re not there to watch them but it is worth mentioning)

Do you have cable ties available? If so, use them to secure the grids so they can’t try to force their way through (sorry, don’t want to worry you while you’re not there to watch them but it is worth mentioning)
Oh thank god I did this! I secured them with strong cable ties :)

Back