Fighting Boars

Status
Not open for further replies.

sami

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My 2 are fighting a lot! I'm getting to the stage of considering......I dont know really.......i just dont know what to do? They used to be so clean too but know they litter everywhere.
Are these behaviours likely to ever stop?
I got 2 thinking they'd prefer to be together, the shop told me they were brothers but I'm starting to doubt that. Perhaps keeping one would be better?
Help

My 2 are fighting a lot! I'm getting to the stage of considering......I dont know really.......i just dont know what to do? They used to be so clean too but know they litter everywhere.
Are these behaviours likely to ever stop?
I got 2 thinking they'd prefer to be together, the shop told me they were brothers but I'm starting to doubt that. Perhaps keeping one would be better?
Help

Hi and welcome!

Boars undergo a teenage phase from 4-14 months during which the testicles descend (despite that, boars can make babies from 3-5 weeks onwards!). This time is characterised by huge testosterone swings. It doesn't matter one bit whether your boys are related or not; key to any successful boar bond is whether they gel as adults. It is a persistent myth that brothers don't fight and fall out - they do that exactly the same as other non-related boys.
Please take the time to read these guides here. You can find all the detailed tips and explanations as to what to expect and what you can do to help your boys along during this tricky time, as well as what your various options are if things do not work out.
One of the most important aspects is space - boars need to be able to get away from each other in order to minimise the risks of full-on fights with serious bites. They also need everything in two, for the same reason.
Boars: A guide to successful companionship.
Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Please also be aware that guinea pigs are group animals and NOT wired to live on their own. Sadly, shops still sell singles because they have neither got the time, nor the knowledge or experience to carefully bond guinea pigs as to character compatibility. The only exception is Switzerland where it is forbidden by law to sell or keep single guinea pigs, but where any boars are neutered as babies, so they can live and be sold with sows straight away.

Please do not punish your boys by taking one back to the shop to a very unhappy future! Depending on the shop policy, he will either be destroyed or will - at the best - have to spend the rest of his life in single confinement through no fault of his own, just because he has been failed by humans, like so many boars. :(
Companionship

You may find our new owners information bundle helpful. It contains guides to the areas that are most often asked about by new owners: " Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners

Hi thanks for the info. It wasn't my first thought to keep a single gp - i feel naturally animals should have companions i just thought maybe they werent the right companions for each other as they keep falling out and have never snuggled together.......but from what you've said this behaviour is normal. I will persevere and except the squabbles its just quite upsetting to witness. I think space is the issue and will try to come up wit a solution. thanks again here's to happy Gpigs !

Hi thanks for the info. It wasn't my first thought to keep a single gp - i feel naturally animals should have companions i just thought maybe they werent the right companions for each other as they keep falling out and have never snuggled together.......but from what you've said this behaviour is normal. I will persevere and except the squabbles its just quite upsetting to witness. I think space is the issue and will try to come up wit a solution. thanks again here's to happy Gpigs !

Please take the time to read the links I have given you. They look at every aspect to help you understand and judge what is going on, whether a bond is still working or you need to separate and what you can do if things don't work out - there is actually a range of options; how many depending on your location.
Sadly, shops are usually interested in sales, not animal welfare, and the knowledge of their personnel is all too often not standing up to scrutiny.

The big hormones are a worrying time for any owner. The good news is that more boar pairs make it together than not, even with same age boar pairs that were not paired up for their personality.

Things are getting worse:no: cut lips and scratches on the face nose area. Can anyone recommend a treatment? I usually put lavender oil or tea tree oil on my own cuts - do you think its be ok on their?

Sorry things are not going well with your boys.
If they are hurting each other to the point that blood is being drawn then they may need to be separated.
Firstly do not use any essential oils undiluted on them. Guinea pigs are very sensitive.
The best thing is some sterile saline which you can buy from a chemist or make yourself by dissolving a small amount of salt in some boiling water and wait until it has cooled.
How big is their cage?
We have had several members who had a similar issue, and as soon as their boys had more space they got on just fine.
Maybe your 2 just need a bit more room?
They also need 2 of everything - houses, food bowls, drink bottles, etc.

I am sure someone else will be along soon with more good ideas, and the threads Wiebke linked to above are excellent.

I have used the pheromone plug in adaptil for dogs,this has been suggested by my vet to calm anxious piggies,it must be the dog one,not the cat feliway.It seemed to help my nervous piggies,if your boars have drawn blood.no amount of things are going to change that they are not compatible,and will need to be separated to prevent further injuries.it is personality that is important to boars getting on,dominant and submissive.:hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back