• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Fighting and Aggressivness

• Thread starter Thread starter Nina
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nina

Hi,

My guinea pig kevin tonight has just started to become seriously aggressive like i'm not even exaggerating, imagine a pit bull terrier in a fight, we grab him and he will fight uss and fly into a blind rage to climb on top of his brother. I know he's trying to be dominant and sometimes calms down but then just flies back towards his brother Zakk and climbs on his head. I'm concerned his nailes are going to get into his brothers eyes as he tries to climb on top, then zakk will try to fight back making it worse. They don't usually fight this bad but its like all of a sudden kevin has seen red and gone for the kill. I'm afraid he might hurt zakk and seriously injure him, They got along so well but tonight kevin is even attacking my hands.

Should i seperate them for now, they miss each other when theyre seperated, do you think kevin may seriously hurt zakk if i don't seperate them. Also kevin looks like he's trying to like sexually harrass his brother in not a nice way :-\

sorry i had to put this in the health part, the other parts didn't show for days until just now, if admins want to move it to behaviour thats cool. sorry

Hi Nina,
Did you sort your guinea pigs out? I just read your post but it was from last week, did you seperate them?

I didn't even see this!

I would separate them as it may well turn nasty and altho they miss each other it really isnt worth one of them becoming seriously injured. Maybe you could try them side by side with a divide in between? Please lets us know how you got on :)

I did do that and theyre fine now. Sorry for late reply the scary thing was he was just like boiling hot and drueling and nose running, we fed him cucumber and he calmed down then he tried to climb on his brother zakks head i think i felt more sorry for zakky because hes usually the dominant one but now he sort of got his own back a bit, thankfully no pig got hurt except kevin did have a little nick on the front of his nose but we cleaned it and put some cream on it and it healed nicley.

Thanks for the help and i got some good info in the behaviour section so thanks to that too

have you taken him to the vets? That sounds really scary to me. I'm not experienced with Guinea Pigs but perhaps this could have been a fit of some kind?

How old is Kevin? Sounds like Bully >:D was when I tried him with others - pure evil, he used to attack me like that too! He has calmed a little now (5mths old) but he still has terrible temper tantrums and his little pink ears go bright red and he gets really stroppy with me, especially when I'm trying to change his paper in the morning, he hangs on to it and tries to bite me away! And he knows its his turn to come out around 8pm and if I'm not ready he'll throw a strop!

keep an eye on Kevin but if he is young it may just be a temper thing!

They're both 1 year and 4 months, yeah kevin is the more cautious and a bit scared of being picked up but when he's out of the cage he just wants to go exploring. he does look evil.

I took them to the vets to have a check over because we got some new ferrets too and they needed their vaccines so we decided to just get a check up - They're all in good health except Kevin is slightly overweight :-\

It was our fault, we kept giving them lots of dry food because i wanted my other pig to gain the weight he'd lost because he has reocurring cystitis but its ok because he's not underweight and he isn't losing any weight so now we just exercise them a bit more and don't keep giving them lots of dry food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back