Fibresafe vs Selective Naturals Pellets

Daisy_and_Mocha

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Not a massively important question but would love second opinions!
The two grain free pellets options in New Zealand are Selective Naturals grain free (which is what I currently use) and Fibresafe. The main red flags that I noticed is the alfalfa in the Fibresafe, and the soya in the Selective Naturals. I'm assuming the alfalfa is more unhealthy? I reckon I'll be sticking with Selective Naturals cos of that, but it's been a niggling question since Fibresafe is a lot cheaper. Would love any thoughts/knowledge!
Screenshot_20240203-144116_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Fibresafe⬆️
20240203_144650.jpg
Selective Naturals⬆️

I am not an expert but have spent a considerable amount of time looking at different pellet ingredients.
I think they are both equally good/bad but in different ways.
The selective naturals contains more “identifiable ingredients” (not sure what the proper name is), but only the first ingredient is hay.
The fibresafe has more than one kind of hay, though the second one is alfalfa. However it looks like it has a lot of additives.

Personally I would choose the selective naturals as it has less additives, but feed a lot less of it (like 1-2 times per week) as it could be quite fattening due to all of the grains.

Pellets are absolutely the least important part of the diet so it really doesn’t matter if they don’t get any or get them rarely, as long as the rest of their diet is correctly balanced.

Back