Few Questions About Bathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superpiggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Good afternoon!

I just wanted to ask a a few questions about bathing that I hope you guys can answer!

1. How warm does it have to be to be able to bathe them?
2. What's the best piggie shampoo?
3. Good tips to keep a blind piggy from panicking when getting contact to water?
4. Does VEL work to help clear up the grease about the grease gland?
5. Can i put them outside in the run in the garden to dry off?

Thank you!
Superpiggies x

We only bathe when absolutely needed... We are doing so at moment because of fungal, but otherwise I wouldn't bother.

If the Grease Glands get dirty especially on Cookie we just give her a quick bum bath only.

Megan was our blind special needs pig and when she had to be bathed due to skin issues she freaked out, it was very hard work. So really unless you have to I wouldn't advise it.
Shampoo wise we use one from gorgeous guineas for grease gland cleaning any full baths have been done with Nizrol for Fungal http://www.gorgeousguineas.com/shampoos.html
We towel dry ours and then dry them quickly with the lowest setting on hairdryer and make sure they are in the run in a warm room so they don't catch a chill.

1. the water can only be luke warm, but not too cold so they dont catch a chill.
2.I use johnsons guinea pig shampoo, you have to dilute it with water, but that works fine.just be careful you dont use any cheap shampoos as it can lead to irritation.
3.if the piggie is blind, i wouldnt put him/her in the bath. would reccomend putting it in the sink with 2cm of water,and gently rubbing water and shampoo over it, avoiding eyes, ears,and the rest of the face.
4.sorry have not used VEL. but i do use a cotton bud to carefully clean out my guinea pigs ears.
5. i wouldnt put my guinea pig out side after a bath, incase it gets a chill. i carefully towel dried mine and put the hairdryer on him.Most guinea pigs love the heat so they will just sit there, while being dried. hope i helped :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back