FERPLAST 160

T&A

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I have the FERPLAST 160 cage for my 2 guinea pigs and was wondering how those with the same cage set it up with enrichment and hides. I need some cage decor inspo!

thank you! I’ve had a look previously but i think the 160 cage wasn’t around at the time of this thread.

thank you! I’ve had a look previously but i think the 160 cage wasn’t around at the time of this thread.

There are a few 160s on it towards the end.

I use bendy log bridges as hides and put them side by side at the end of the cage but not right to the end of the cage so that they can still get completely through the hides, I also put some hay inside them.
I fill the extension end with hay, water bottles
at that end and then sprinkle their veg down that end also

I then put whatever enrichment items I’m using at the time in the middle.

I fill the extension with hay also. I have a plastic stool as a hide down the other end. I also have a long piece of piping as a tunnel.

Ok okay, what bedding to you use, i find hay with fleece is a nightmare!? I have a litter box in the end but to try and contain the hay but it wastes a lot of space.

Ok okay, what bedding to you use, i find hay with fleece is a nightmare!? I have a litter box in the end but to try and contain the hay but it wastes a lot of space.

Hay will always stick to fleece! A rubber brush can help

do you use fleece in your hay area?

I don’t use fleece routinely. Mine are in my shed so I only use disposable beddings. If they come indoors then I use fleece at one end and keep hay and disposable at the other end

Most people who have a fleece area and a hay area will use disposable bedding under the hay area

do you use fleece in your hay area?
I use this cage as a temporary run for my boys when I’m cleaning out their hutch. I use old newspapers and hay on top in the extension. In the larger area I use a waterproof sheet with a towel on top.

Ah ok. I’ve taken out the litter box and their space feels so much more open. I’ll see how i get on. Thank you

I don't use the Ferplast, but I do use hay on fleece. A good brush makes it much easier, I use one that came as a dustpan+brush set. I take the fleece to the kitchen, brush it down on the kitchen floor, then the fleece goes in the washing machine and I sweep up the floor afterwards. But you do need something to brush the fleece off onto, there's no point trying to do it on something like a carpeted floor.

I have the ferplast plaza 160 for my 3 girls. I have wood shavings and hay in the extension part and wood shavings in the main living part. I have a small child’s foot stool at the far end, a large wooden Bendy logs in the middle and then a plastic dome near the extension so they all have a hide if they wish. Then they have two water bottles on the side and then their food dish

This is my cage. I wondered if you all have any suggestions? They’re on fleece with puppy pads underneaths

Attachments

• 292EF3EA-E18D-463F-8035-1097FC493F56.webp
    292EF3EA-E18D-463F-8035-1097FC493F56.webp
    94.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 28EEB0C9-2898-43B2-9A46-D9B0C8E6E5E5.webp
    28EEB0C9-2898-43B2-9A46-D9B0C8E6E5E5.webp
    35.9 KB · Views: 19
I have the ferplast plaza 160 for my 3 girls. I have wood shavings and hay in the extension part and wood shavings in the main living part. I have a small child’s foot stool at the far end, a large wooden Bendy logs in the middle and then a plastic dome near the extension so they all have a hide if they wish. Then they have two water bottles on the side and then their food dish
Oh yes, I have a child’s foot stool in mine aswell! They love it more than the wooden bendy bridge! I used to use aubiose until about 3 weeks ago when i made the switch to fleece because I hated the mess! I also have cat pellet litter but they seem to like to try and eat it, and i don’t want blockages, especially after being in the vets x4 in the last week!

Your cage looks fine.

I would perhaps a cardboard or willow tunnel, a cardboard box with holes cut in or something else in the middle of the cage for them to play in/with.

Personally I would remove both the hay bag and the rack on the outside and just fill that whole end with hay so they can get right inside it for fun and enrichment. I just don’t like restricting access to hay in any way though

I’d like to do that I’m just cautious of hay pokes and don’t want any incidents with them

My two boars both get hay in handfuls/piles, and they will only eat the stalkiest hay I can find. Fingers crossed but in the 17 months I've had them here there's been no eye injuries. They're unavoidable no matter your feeding preferences.

Ah ok. I’ll try with a small hay pile and see how they like it. I may find they prefer the hay off the floor and in a rack

I was also going to recommend getting rid of the hay racks. It’s like us trying to eat our favourite meal through bars with chopsticks. Lol. So far I’ve never had a hay poke and I’ve had 10 piggies in total.

I use fleece and have a stiff brush to get rid of it - makes it very easy to remove. I use a pet wash bag in the washing machine - I put my hay and poops in my compost bin - there will always be waste hay but my two like to lie in it and burrow in it so I use soft hay

I use Norfolk pastures meadow hay which they seem to like. I also use a brush. What hides do you have for your guinea pigs? I need some new ones.

A variety of fleece hides (not sure where half of them are from, heh, they were gifts), bendy log tunnels, a carrot cottage and some seagrass tunnels are what's in their cage right now. It varies a bit, though.

I have Ferplast 160’s for my piggies. I have newspaper covered with hay in main part and noodle mat and two tunnels/cuddle cups or step stools in the extension
IMG_1429.webp

Back