Fencing off section of garden with dog

Handy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I don't let my guinea pigs on my grass because I have a dog, but I'm wanting to put a run over a section of it so that my dog can't access it any more so that they can go there. Does anyone know how I would make the grass in that section 'safe' (as the dog has obviously already been there)? Is it a case of watering it down with a hose pipe to wash any urine away, or mowing the top of the grass, or just leaving it a certain about of time?

Also my lawn is a.mix of grass and clover, is clover safe for guinea pigs please?

Thank you

I would mow the lawn, put a run down and then leave it for a few days, water it if it doesn’t rain.

The only issue you may find is that the piggies will deplete the area quickly and then the grass will need time to recover.

Make sure to accustom them to grass slowly if they are not used to having it

Feeding Grass And Preparing Your Piggies For Lawn Time

Clover is fine but best not to let them have a lot of it

Wild UK forage for guinea pigs

Thank you, that's really helpful 🙂

I don't know if it's practical for your set up, but we trained our dog to do her business in a particular place - it meant we could put the run anywhere else without worrying 🙂

I don't know if it's practical for your set up, but we trained our dog to do her business in a particular place - it meant we could put the run anywhere else without worrying 🙂

It would be practical if I wasn't so bad at training my dog 😂 she actually tends to go under the trampoline so not on the grass at all, but I just don't think I could guarantee it!

Back