Females Mounting Each Other?

Hi

If you have new piggies, then please double check the gender, first and foremost: Illustrated Sexing Guide
Sows mount each other when in season; especially when having a strong season or when experiencing an ovarian cyst based huge hormone output; usually the one place next below in the hierarchy or - lacking that - the one ranked just above. They also dominance mount during bonding, both the introduction and the following two weeks of group establishment; especially when it coincides with them having a season.

The videos in this link here give you an idea of a strong season: When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)

To learn more about sow and general behaviours:
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

How old are each of the sows? And how long have they been together?
Humping is usually a dominance issue or when one is in season. But if the 9 week old has just been added to the trio it’s more likely to be a dominance gesture. I will link the relevant guides for you here

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
The two girls that are humping have been together for quit a bit but soon as I had them all 1month and 3 weeks they have been fine only until today. I have separate the 9 week old as she smaller that the two and don't want them getting her but after removing the 9 week old the other two are humping/mounting together.

I don't know what to do as I've only have had boy's which they are in a different room as they was fighting over the girls but have gone back normal.

Hi

If you have new piggies, then please double check the gender, first and foremost: Illustrated Sexing Guide
Sows mount each other when in season; especially when having a strong season or when experiencing an ovarian cyst based huge hormone output; usually the one place next below in the hierarchy or - lacking that - the one ranked just above. They also dominance mount during bonding, both the introduction and the following two weeks of group establishment; especially when it coincides with them having a season.

The videos in this link here give you an idea of a strong season: When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)

To learn more about sow and general behaviours:
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours
Thank you I have tripled checked to make sure they are girls and yes all 3 sows, I've just never experienced sow humping other sows.

You shouldnt seperate them at all if you want them to live as a group, please do read the bonding guides- once they are separated you have to start all over again with the introductions, and they will have to restart the process of bonding and establishing their social structure... with lots more humping and possibly even more dominance.
Lady pigs do hump each other like crazy sometimes, if one of them is in season- my ladies mount each other way more often than they let the neutered male do that! Its just a thing they do, part of normal group bonding behaviour, maintaining their social structure, and normal hormonal fluctuations. It may ease off as they get older and once the group dynamic is settled.

The two girls that are humping have been together for quit a bit but soon as I had them all 1month and 3 weeks they have been fine only until today. I have separate the 9 week old as she smaller that the two and don't want them getting her but after removing the 9 week old the other two are humping/mounting together.

I don't know what to do as I've only have had boy's which they are in a different room as they was fighting over the girls but have gone back normal.

You don’t need to do anything - It’s normal for them to mount particularly when in season or newly bonded.
Please don’t separate them. The youngest is too young to be alone (all piggies under four months old need to be kept with others at all times) for one thing but separating them will interrupt the whole group. Please put them all back together straight away and leave them to sort themselves out.
If you leave them separated for too long then you will need to carry out the entire neutral territory bonding procedure all over again.

Last edited:
My 3 girls hump and rumble when in season, it’s normal but they don’t fight and nip. Good luck 🤞

Thank you, I thought I better separate the baby as both of them was humping and mounting her

As we said above, this is entirely normal - it’s dominance and something they have to do to establish a relationship - and you shouldn’t separate them for this, they won’t hurt her. She will be able to move away.
If you separate for normal dominance you harm their ability to form a relationship. Please do put them back together And as I said, the longer they are apart, you are going to have to go through the whole neutral territory bonding again. Please don’t continually separate for dominance as there is a risk that may not accept her back if you do it too much.

Back