• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Female hormonal issues

TrixiePigster

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all! I have 4 female guinea pigs all of different breeds and ages. I have Adler, (5 yrs Merino), Iris ( 5 yrs Abyssian), Martha (1.5 Teddy) and Rosie (1.5 Himalayan). My second oldest, Iris, is having some behavioural issues. She is mounting my other girls excessively, especially the youngest and lightest Rosie. This is beyond what is normal for her on heat and has been going on for 4 weeks now. Her nipples are enlarged but not lactating and she seems exhausted. I had a similar issue with Adler a year and a half ago and she had a cystic ovary which was treated by having her spayed. I have taken Iris to the vets and they have only recommended pain relief. She has strange loose skin around her belly which Adler did not have, and the vet said it felt like liquid. I have kept her on pain relief and probiotics in case the tummy issue is a gastric problem. The vets have said it might be a false pregnancy and I have been told to wait another week for them to call me back as they do not have a treatment in a suitable concentration for a guinea pig. Iris is eating and drinking normally, but seems tired.
I tried separating the girls last night with Adler and Iris in one area and the babies in the other section to give Rosie a rest from being mounted. However, Martha immediately became aggressive and bit Rosie. I tried separating them in different pairs but they got stressed out. Iris and Rosie kept trying to break their way into the same enclosure and they managed it a few times. I decided to remove the barrier and have them all together again and they chilled out again. Iris is still mounting, but otherwise is sleeping next to Rosie and snuggling with her. (Martha and Rosie are now fine, I think it was a dominance thing). I am getting concerned and don't know what to say to the vets to get them to listen. I have said I think it is an ovarian cyst repeatedly but they are not listening. Any advice!?

Hi all! I have 4 female guinea pigs all of different breeds and ages. I have Adler, (5 yrs Merino), Iris ( 5 yrs Abyssian), Martha (1.5 Teddy) and Rosie (1.5 Himalayan). My second oldest, Iris, is having some behavioural issues. She is mounting my other girls excessively, especially the youngest and lightest Rosie. This is beyond what is normal for her on heat and has been going on for 4 weeks now. Her nipples are enlarged but not lactating and she seems exhausted. I had a similar issue with Adler a year and a half ago and she had a cystic ovary which was treated by having her spayed. I have taken Iris to the vets and they have only recommended pain relief. She has strange loose skin around her belly which Adler did not have, and the vet said it felt like liquid. I have kept her on pain relief and probiotics in case the tummy issue is a gastric problem. The vets have said it might be a false pregnancy and I have been told to wait another week for them to call me back as they do not have a treatment in a suitable concentration for a guinea pig. Iris is eating and drinking normally, but seems tired.
I tried separating the girls last night with Adler and Iris in one area and the babies in the other section to give Rosie a rest from being mounted. However, Martha immediately became aggressive and bit Rosie. I tried separating them in different pairs but they got stressed out. Iris and Rosie kept trying to break their way into the same enclosure and they managed it a few times. I decided to remove the barrier and have them all together again and they chilled out again. Iris is still mounting, but otherwise is sleeping next to Rosie and snuggling with her. (Martha and Rosie are now fine, I think it was a dominance thing). I am getting concerned and don't know what to say to the vets to get them to listen. I have said I think it is an ovarian cyst repeatedly but they are not listening. Any advice!?

Hi and welcome

Have your vets checked the heart and considered a fluid build up in the body cavity because of heart failure or potentially an internal growth pushing on the heart?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! She was seen by the vet and he listened to her heart, lungs and stomach. Everything was fine. Her weight is also stable.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! She was seen by the vet and he listened to her heart, lungs and stomach. Everything was fine. Her weight is also stable.

That is good news. It helps us with our care advice to know what has been checked and ruled in or out.

So, the vet has prescribed Galastop for dogs to treat a false pregnancy. I'm concerned as she has been like this for 5 weeks now and surely that should have resolved itself? Has anyone had any experience with this?

So, the vet has prescribed Galastop for dogs to treat a false pregnancy. I'm concerned as she has been like this for 5 weeks now and surely that should have resolved itself? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Hi

Sorry, we are not a breeding forum, so we don't have any experience with this but I would strongly recommend to have yor sow properly checked through as to what is causing this.

Back