Female dominance

donna83

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi was just wanting some advice from you experienced people what it is I got two baby females over a year ago to go with my older neutered male there roughly 16 months old they have never got on the best nipping here and there but never blood drawn but the past few days has been horrendous one of the girls will not leave the other female alone constantly rumble strutting climbing on her to the point there really facing up ready for a fight and my male is just miserable and stuck in the middle as he has not really took on the dominant role as a male usually dos in a herd so I separated the dominant female yesterday she's still in the same cage as the other 2 with a divider so there all still close so I put her back in tonight for 10 minutes to see how they went and still the same behaviour with the 2 females which I feel is gonna end up in a blood fight so separated again so my question is really could this just be a spike in hormones with the age or I'm I likely to never get them all back together due to the females not getting along so any advice would be great thanks

A boar is part of group hierarchy but there is still always a dominant sow.
The question to understanding what might be happening is knowing what the submissive sow is doing in response to the dominant sow - if she is submitting then your dominant sow may just be having a strong season, or be feeling insecure. If the submissive is trying to take over as dominant and they are in a bit of a battle with each other the situation could end differently. A full fight amongst sows is not a common occurrence but they can be more subtle and a bit underhand about bullying.
Rumbling and mounting is a totally normal behaviour particularly when they experience a strong season (which this might be - a temporary issue). Nipping is a gesture of power.

The guide below explains how to determine whether a bond is functioning and what to do about it.
Bonds In Trouble

Back