Female bonding advice?

Dews1

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I recently lost 2 of my 3 guinea pigs within 3 months of each other (they were both 4 years old). My third piggy (Chino, female aged 2) was alone and I couldn't bear her being lonely, So I got her a friend (Treacle, female rescue who had also recently lost her cage mate). Not sure of this new piggy's age but she's an adult the same size.

I introduced them in a pen in a neutral setting and they got along fine, just sniffing each other, Chino did a bit of chasing (Treacle didn't mind it) and then they relaxed and ate some veggies. I cleaned Chino's cage and put them both in it but my mistake was that I left the hidey house in the cage which only has 1 doorway. About 2/3 hours after being in the cage, Chino chased Treacle into the house and I assume this freaked Treacle out as she was cornered and she bit Chino and drew blood. It's a small bite and they're both okay. They immediately got separated and after a good few hours I put them back into the neutral pen and sat next to them for a while.

Chino is now fearful of Treacle when she gets too close.(understandable) But thankfully they're respecting each others space and otherwise doing okay, a little bit of butt-sniffing, but if Treacle comes close and they're standing face to face, Chino starts squeaking. I see no threatening behaviours from either of them, they now have a tube and a hidey each in the pen (cardboard boxes with 2 doorways each) and they sit in one each, minding their own business. Treacle will walk around a bit but Chino is not moving around much in comparison.

My question is, is this bite a sign that they'll never be friends? Or is there still hope that Chino will come around and be less fearful? It's been 1 full day and night in this pen together and no squabbles but no friendly cuddling either which I was really hoping for.

I recently lost 2 of my 3 guinea pigs within 3 months of each other (they were both 4 years old). My third piggy (Chino, female aged 2) was alone and I couldn't bear her being lonely, So I got her a friend (Treacle, female rescue who had also recently lost her cage mate). Not sure of this new piggy's age but she's an adult the same size.

I introduced them in a pen in a neutral setting and they got along fine, just sniffing each other, Chino did a bit of chasing (Treacle didn't mind it) and then they relaxed and ate some veggies. I cleaned Chino's cage and put them both in it but my mistake was that I left the hidey house in the cage which only has 1 doorway. About 2/3 hours after being in the cage, Chino chased Treacle into the house and I assume this freaked Treacle out as she was cornered and she bit Chino and drew blood. It's a small bite and they're both okay. They immediately got separated and after a good few hours I put them back into the neutral pen and sat next to them for a while.

Chino is now fearful of Treacle when she gets too close.(understandable) But thankfully they're respecting each others space and otherwise doing okay, a little bit of butt-sniffing, but if Treacle comes close and they're standing face to face, Chino starts squeaking. I see no threatening behaviours from either of them, they now have a tube and a hidey each in the pen (cardboard boxes with 2 doorways each) and they sit in one each, minding their own business. Treacle will walk around a bit but Chino is not moving around much in comparison.

My question is, is this bite a sign that they'll never be friends? Or is there still hope that Chino will come around and be less fearful? It's been 1 full day and night in this pen together and no squabbles but no friendly cuddling either which I was really hoping for.

Hi and welcome

The bite was an overload. Please never have houses tunnels etc. in a bonding pen because that creates a prime flashpoint for defence bites if a piggy on edge feels invaded or cornered. Always keep the bonding area as open as possible and rather peg a sheet over the top and around three sides for protection so you can still watch what is going on.

I think your girls may still bond but it is going to take more time because of the bite. They are aware that it was a defence bite.
Remove the hideys and rather put some fleece pads in the corners so they can stay apart but there is nothing that can trigger more bites. Chino is expressing her anxiety but also her submission. It is great that there is no further hostile interaction like teeth chattering etc.

I would recommend that you separate and try again in a couple of days and see how they react to each other then.

Here is more practical information, which I would highly recommend that you take the time to read and watch (there are plenty of pictures and videos as well). You will hopefully find the information helpful:
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
" Biting" And What You Can Do (Biting, Tweaking, Nibbling and Nipping)
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

Unfortunately, this is as far as I can go sight unseen and only based on your own perception and interpretation.

Here is more practical information:
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
" Biting" And What You Can Do (Biting, Tweaking, Nibbling and Nipping)

Back