• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Feet problems

Vsokic

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I noticed my guinea pig has some kind of soft bumps on both of her feet. I went to the vet, she didn't know what it is, tried to scratch it and it started bleeding a lot. On one feet it is larger than on the other.

Guinea pig is eating like normal, running and doesn't seem to change its behaviour. She is not bothered by me touching the bumps which means it's not painful.

She always sleeps on a soft, dry surface (fleece blankets and towel below). She is 4 and a half years old.

Any idea what it could be and what should I do?Screenshot_20230602-180911_WhatsApp.webp

Attachments

• IMG-20230602-WA0027.webp
    IMG-20230602-WA0027.webp
    40 KB · Views: 2
I’m sorry to hear that.

Was it an open wound that has perhaps scabbed over? If so, then it looks like it may be the potential to be bumblefoot.
You will need a ver to diagnose it though as we are not vets and cannot tell you what it is.

The information below details more.
Bumblefoot requires antibiotic treatment and pain relief.

Guinea Lynx :: Pododermatitis

Hi, I noticed my guinea pig has some kind of soft bumps on both of her feet. I went to the vet, she didn't know what it is, tried to scratch it and it started bleeding a lot. On one feet it is larger than on the other.

Guinea pig is eating like normal, running and doesn't seem to change its behaviour. She is not bothered by me touching the bumps which means it's not painful.

She always sleeps on a soft, dry surface (fleece blankets and towel below). She is 4 and a half years old.

Any idea what it could be and what should I do?View attachment 225725

Hi and welcome

Good that you are going to see a vet and have them assess the sore. This looks rather like a bumblefoot (pododermatitis) sore. There is no one surefire way of treating bumblefoot as it depends on what germ has got through a tiny crack in the skin so it can be a bit of a trial and error. Your vet will likely prescribe an antibiotic in addition to topical (i.e. on the place) treatment.

More practical information on possible treatments and care of guinea pigs with mobility issues:
Guinea Lynx :: Pododermatitis
Looking After Guinea Pigs With Limited or No Mobility

I’d take your piggy to a different vet if you can. It’s not very good that they didn’t know what it was and also made it bleed. I hope they prescribed something to help?

Back