Feeling Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perkypanda

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am trying to get a rescue pair of sows. Had the perfect sanctuary and was going through the adoption process but they said I needed an 140 cage which I just cannot fit at the moment. I am getting the ferplast 120. Unfortunately the local rspca rarely seems to get Guinea pigs in, especially sows. I do not want a c&c cage and either way a 4x2 would be too big anyway. Really disappointed now as I know the Guinea pigs in their care are really well looked after and bonded etc.

I am very sorry for your experience! Would you consider contacting other rescues in your county? Each rescue has their own criteria (for the best of the piggies and often resulting from bad experiences), but it can sometimes be frustrating if you narrowly miss the margin!
There are other rescues in Kent that will accept a 120cm cage.
PS: a 2x3 C&C grid cage, (ca. 75 x 110 cm) is the same ground space as a traditional 120cm, but you could extend it into a two story affair if you would like to maximise on the footprint space you have got.
Guinea Pig Rescue Centre Locator

That is disappointing :( 120cm worked well for our girls in the past, don't give up hope.

I just wanted to say good on you for trying, and I do understand how disappointing it is.
We also contacted a rescue when we initially looked into getting guinea pigs, but due to their being a waiting list for rescue pigs we were told we were unlikely to be chosen because we have children under 12 living in the house.

The cage is 7.4 square feet and they require 8.
I can't seem to find any other rescues near me Has anyone ever rescued from pets at home? The adoption centre part. I don't want babies (would love them actually but am worried about unplanned pregnancy and then them not bonding).
I am moving out alone and have been banking on being able to get Guinea pigs. Have been researching it since March and have owned lots of Guinea pigs when I was younger.

Have you seen the rescue locator on the bar above (just under the forum logo)?

Unfortunately it sounds like the rescue you went to has tried to simplify their criteria with the 140 cage (generally a pair of boars would require the extra space). It is also worth noting that rescues do not need to be licensed so please bear in mind when getting pigs from anywhere that you are better to check the sexes yourself to guarantee peace of mind.

I adopted a pig from pets at home at the weekend to live with my 3 (only went in for crickets for the gecko but she was on her own and couldn't leave her looking so sad). In my experience it was a good process, the staff were knowledgeable and they have called me to check how she is getting on. However, experiences are different at different stores and sometimes guinea pigs are in the adoption centre because they haven't sold and the store want to create more space for babies so there is no guarantee that they haven't been missexed or mixed with boars. It is worth looking and speaking to them but only take any home if you are happy enough with the information the store has on them and are confident you know what sex they are.

Alternatively, pets at home are likely to have details of local rescues that also might be able to home you a lovely pair of sows.

Sorry to hear this but I guess it depends on how far you can or are willing to travel. I am sure there may be other rescues who may accept this but you may have to travel further to get to them. A c&c cage is by far the best in my opinion because you can go up with it not just out. It also makes it feel less like a cage and more a part of your home.

I know other members may not agree but you could also consider looking at gumtree. So often there are poor little piggies who through no fault of their own are needing a new forever home. I recently saw 2 boars living in terrible conditions outside in a hutch because the daughter no longer was interested in them. They wanted £60 for the piggies and hutch. I emailed them to say I did not need the hutch as I would be keeping them indoors and could ensure they got a good home but would not be prepared to pay for them. The people agreed as they wanted what was best for the piggies as they realised they should not have got them in the first place and it was not fair on the animals. You could try that approach.

Best of luck whichever way you go xx

Thanks, the rescue was already about an hour away. The other ones are further and then I don't think they will do home visits that far away.
Popped into pets at home today and they had the most lovely silver agouti and black and white English crested. I was very good and only asked a few questions (going on holiday and don't have the cage etc yet otherwise I would have been very tempted). They said you can ring around to find out which ones have sows which helps as I have three near me. I think I might go down that route and then make sure I am happy with the amount of information they have. Plus I could always then take them to the vets for a once over.
Not the ideal way that I had envisioned doing it but better than nothing.

I got my buddy from pets at home. They were OK about it, nobody's called me to check on him but they made an appointment for a free checkup at their vets a fortnight after I adopted him. And the people in store know me as I'm always in buying things for the piggies. Lol.

3 of my other boys I got off Gumtree as unwanted ex children's pets. I was lucky and they were all healthy however it's a risk you take if you can afford unforeseen vets costs.

Would recommend Pets at Home adoption rather than getting one online; although getting one online would guarantee you were getting a piggy in need as long as it wasn't from a breeder, but you wouldn't get the free vets check up that Pets at Home provide for their adopted piggies, and if there was a health issue it would be entirely down to you to pay for it where as with Pets at Home they would cover it instead if it occurred during a certain time span. So if you have the funds and the space to quarantine, getting piggies online would be fine, but if not I would recommend Pets at Home adoptions just to be on the safe side.

As far as I know yes, but I can't say 100%, you would have to ask. The piggy I got there was provided with one, which was lucky because he had a very stuffy nose and cough when we got him. Took him to the vets with the voucher and he received wonderful care, really quick and they seemed generally concerned about his health, was given antibiotics and they sorted out the payment for me entirely, we didn't even have to ring and sort it out ourselves, they did it for us. It has to be a certain vet, and you have to make a separate appointment; they don't do it on site, at least with my experience.

Oh right thanks. I have asked at my vets and they recommended the local(ish) pets at home vets, companion care, as there is a vet there who is very good with Guinea pigs. So will probably be using their vet options anyway.
Thanks for all the advice. I definitely feel better about it now

I would definitely recommend the Pets at home vets. I have experience with two different vet centres, theirs and a private one. Theirs seemed so concerned and helpful, took my pig very seriously, I was certainly impressed.

I am trying to get a rescue pair of sows. Had the perfect sanctuary and was going through the adoption process but they said I needed an 140 cage which I just cannot fit at the moment. I am getting the ferplast 120. Unfortunately the local rspca rarely seems to get Guinea pigs in, especially sows. I do not want a c&c cage and either way a 4x2 would be too big anyway. Really disappointed now as I know the Guinea pigs in their care are really well looked after and bonded etc.

You could try other rescues like Woodgreen or blue cross? Sometimes you can get unwanted animals from the owners themselves instead of a rescue, so in some way it still kind of count as an adoption.

I just wanted to say good on you for trying, and I do understand how disappointing it is.
We also contacted a rescue when we initially looked into getting guinea pigs, but due to their being a waiting list for rescue pigs we were told we were unlikely to be chosen because we have children under 12 living in the house.

The child hurdle is what I initially faced but the rescue is so full at the moment that they waived that even though we have a open topped c&c cage. Nice to see some worries can be overcome when they do a house visit and realize your kids are behaved.

Completely ready for piggies now. Not that I can find any. I really wanted to get them before I went back to work. It's been tough moving out but compared to previous times (really long story) I am feeling so much more positive but need something to keep me company and keep me sane during term time. I don't want to get babies but it would be so much easier to do so.
Everyone keep fingers crossed for me please.

I understand your impatience, but do hang in there.
You clearly have a wonderful home to offer, so the right piggies will come along when they are meant to.

Thanks. It's hard though when you can just babies much easier. I don't want all the possible pregnancy issues and bonding problems though (must keep telling myself that when I go into pets at home lol)

Spent over an hour ringing all the rescues within 30 miles of me and rescue centre in pets at home. No sows anywhere and they also said they haven't had any. So bit the bullet and got two baby sows from pets at home (I know, not ideal, but they did do a health check in front of me and I was able to ask lots of questions).

So here is Bella and Grace (Grace might change name). They hid for a while and have since explored their cage, eaten, pooped and drunk. Never had babies before. They are so small! I have been sitting next to the cage talking to them and on the phone all afternoon and they have seemed to not mind too much.

They are eating well but a few grumbles and wheeks as they get to know each other. Fingers crossed they bond quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back