feeding

uhabbymae

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hi! so i have two guinea pigs that i believe are about 4-5 months old, and i just want to know if my feeding schedule is good. if i’m feeding certain things too often or if there’s better things to add to their diet.

this was this week’s variety:

sunday-

breakfast: lettuce, blackberry, basil

dinner: lettuce, carrot, tomato

monday-

breakfast: lettuce, cucumber, parsley

dinner: lettuce, carrot apple

tuesday-

breakfast: lettuce, cherry tomato, cilantro

dinner: lettuce, grape, cucumber

wednesday-

breakfast: lettuce, celery, raspberry, carrot

dinner: lettuce, red pep, apple

thursday-

breakfast: lettuce, basil, blackberry

dinner: lettuce, cucumber, tomato

friday-

breakfast: lettuce, parsley, pep

dinner: lettuce, raspberry, carrot

saturday-

breakfast: lettuce, corn, cilantro

dinner: lettuce, cucumber, cauliflower

Hi, I would cut back on the carrot feeding it only around once a week as it’s very high in sugar. Feeding carrot to a guinea pig is like feeding chocolate to a toddler. I would also cut back on the tomato and apple feeding as a treat only may be say once a week if that. Tomato and apple are acidic and can cause sores to form on the mouth and nose.

You may find our diet guide helpful for more ideas Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Welcome to the forum

You are giving too much fruit, carrot and tomato. Fruit and carrots are too high in sugar and tomato is too acidic. These items should only be fed in very small amounts and only one type given once per week - ie if you give carrot in one week, don’t give any other fruit or carrot again that week.
High calcium items such as parsley, kale and spinach should only be given once per week also.

Focus on giving leafy veg.
Safe daily veggies include lettuce, coriander/cilantro, green beans, bell pepper and cucumber.

These are the veggies mine get daily (cucumber, lettuce, coriander, bell pepper). They get fruit once a year. They get carrot about once every couple of months .

Ensure hay is always available in large amounts.
Ensure pellets are kept limited to one tablespoon per pig per day only

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Hi, I would cut back on the carrot feeding it only around once a week as it’s very high in sugar. Feeding carrot to a guinea pig is like feeding chocolate to a toddler. I would also cut back on the tomato and apple feeding as a treat only may be say once a week if that. Tomato and apple are acidic and can cause sores to form on the mouth and nose.

You may find our diet guide helpful for more ideas Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
ok! makes sense, thank you :)

Welcome to the forum

You are giving too much fruit, carrot and tomato. Fruit and carrots are too high in sugar and tomato is too acidic. These items should only be fed in very small amounts and only one type given once per week - ie if you give carrot in one week, don’t give any other fruit or carrot again that week.
High calcium items such as parsley, kale and spinach should only be given once per week also.

Focus on giving leafy veg.
Safe daily veggies include lettuce, coriander/cilantro, green beans, bell pepper and cucumber.

These are the veggies mine get daily (cucumber, lettuce, coriander, bell pepper). They get fruit once a year. They get carrot about once every couple of months .

Ensure hay is always available in large amounts.
Ensure pellets are kept limited to one tablespoon per pig per day only

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Okay, i’ve been worried about what foods are ok to feed daily or not, so this is very helpful. thank you!

The green link is to a feeding guide which details a lot of useful information about feeding including showing a picture of a sample plate

The green link is to a feeding guide which details a lot of useful information about feeding including showing a picture of a sample plate
i’ll be checking it out!

Back