Feeding Schedule all messed up

Nerdy_Stormy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My younger pig has a very bad habbit of sqeekin nonstop all day. Normally it would just be for feeding time veggies but now it's for everything.

I have been owning pigs for awhile and my normal schedule would be to give them about 1 cup of veggies twice a day. Check the pellets and hay during feeding time.

Feeding time is around 9am & 5pm

My husband gets up earlier then me for work, (around 6am) hears them sqeekin and will maybe feed them. I have had times I would get up 2 or 3 hours later, still hear them sqeekin, so I assume they have not had breakfast yet. This has lead to overfeeding and even sqeekin in the middle of the day.

How do I deal with a teenage Piggie who sqeekin all day? I know it's partly my fault for overfeeding and even when I normally feed them, he will sqeek for no reason.

Squeaking nonstop is not something unheard of, but it can be quite alot.
I am not sure if there is an actual way to stop this, it just means your girls like you very much, or are very greedy :))

As for the pellets, when you say check does this mean you allow pellets to be in the cage all the time? If so pellets should only be fed 1tbsp per pig per day.
Does it sound more like a wheek or a squeal? If everything is fine with her aside from the constant noise it just sounds like you have one very vocal and happy girl.

The only way to deal with this is to ignore them and go back to a normal feeding schedule. If they have had their one tablespoon of pellets per day, then don’t give in and instead just throw more hay in.

The reality is though, some piggies are more vocal than others. I’ve got four. One of them (a youngster) is very noisy and he is teaching one of the 5 year olds his habits!

I have a screaming potato in my spare bedroom, and he genuinely never stops screaming for food the minute he can tell I'm on the move. I just toss in hay most of the time. I feed sparingly throughout the day with fresh food (but not til after 11am), but pellets are a supper snack, and when Cam's screaming for the rest of the day whether it's before 11am or between fresh food runs, they just get a handful of hay thrown in. It keeps him quiet for another 10 minutes or so.

My girls get their pellets in two portions during the day. The scoops get filled at first dole, so they either have one portion or are empty. If they are empty at first feeding time, they haven't had anything, yet; the scoops can be filled. If the scoops have food at first feeding time, they've already gotten their first portion. If the scoops have food at second feeding time, they can have their remaining pellets; if it's empty, then they've already eaten it and are done getting pellets for the day.

Squeaking in this house is rewarded by hay or pats ...

Back