Feeding 11 week olds

Qpigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm slowly getting my head around everything I need to know before my girls arrive. They will be approximately 11 weeks old.
I've seen several different opinions regarding pellets. Do they need baby pellets or normal pellets? I know they only need a tiny amount compared to hay and veg.
Secondly veg. I'm not sure what they've had so far, I'll see if I can find out. Either way, what kind of amounts should I be giving them as an introduction? Should I be giving veg one at a time to start with? And when I introduce grass, how much should they have?
The guides on here have been absolutely fantastic so far, thank you everyone!

At that age, they are fed exactly the same as an adult.
Pellets are one tablespoon per pig per day. They do not need baby pellets and I would not recommend you bother doing so. Baby pellets contain alfalfa which is not recommended. Technically you can feed them the baby pellets but you would want them off of them by the time they are 16 weeks old due to the fact alfalfa is too high in calcium to be in the diet. The packaging says 6 months but I really would not leave it that long - alfalfa isnt a grass hay so isn’t needed at all and certainly not after they are weaned at 3 weeks of age. You’d most likely find you hardly use any of the bag in five weeks so would risk wasting a lot.

However, though, you should keep them on the pellets they are currently used to being fed - even if that is baby pellets - and if they are not one you would choose, then begin the process of moving them to a more appropriate pellet. Any change in brand of pellets should be done slowly and gradually by mixing 90% old brand pellets 10% new brand and then changing those ratios 80:20, 70:30 etc over a couple of weeks until they are fully on new pellets.
Look for a pellet which is grass/hay based, and grain free. Either way, pellets are the disposable part of the diet and they should never be overfed or left with constant access to them.
We also recommend not using food bowls and instead scatter their veg and pellet portion amongst their hay. This means food hogging cannot occur, plus it is excellent enrichment and keeps them occupied.
Hay is the main part of their diet, not veg or pellets.

Veg is one cup per pig per day but yes, any new item is introduced one at a time and slowly. The main four are coriander, lettuce, cucumber and bell pepper. Other veg can, of course, slowly be introduced but be sure to keep high calcium veg to a minimum.
Same with grass - introduction needs to be done slowly and carefully. You cannot just put them on the lawn and leave them to it. Too much grass on unprepared tummies, particularly rich spring grass, can cause digestive upsets and bloat. Start by picking a very small amount and feeding it to them in the cage each day for a few weeks. Then five minutes on the grass on a dry warm day for a week or two, then 15 minutes on the grass for a week, then 30 minutes for a week etc etc, building it up over time until they can be out supervised, for longer periods. Don’t put them on the lawn though unless it is over 15 degrees and dry - the guide is if you can stand on the lawn with bare feet and just in a t-shirt then it’s ok for the piggies to be out. If you feel damp on your feet or chilly at all, then keep the piggies off the grass.
This goes for every year after a break from lawn time over winter - it needs to be reintroduced slowly each spring.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Feeding Grass And Preparing Your Piggies For Lawn Time
Edible And Forbidden Veg And Fruit List With Vitamin C Grading

Back