Fed up with Vetbed...

• Thread starter Thread starter piggytoefluff
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

piggytoefluff

I've had vetbed for about 6 months now in the girls 5x2 C&C. When it was new it was wonderful - I couldn't stop banging on about it to everyone, but now it's had months of use it looks tatty, gets wet quickly and also it's become flimsy enough for the pigs to dig underneath it and roll around on the wet newspaper. Which they do. All day. xx0 Gross.

Because of this desire to dig and burrow I'm wondering if they might get more pleasure from living on something like medibed smothered in meadow hay. Has anyone had any negative experiences with medibed (or similar) and hay?

How often do you need to clean the cage with medibed and hay?

I tried aubiose for a week in the summer and it was rubbish, that's why I'm thinking of medibed next.

Thanks for your help! :)

I think Karenrgpr uses medibed and swears by it, russel rabbit is the same I believe and another member swears by that! I have not tried it as I quite like the aubiose but I agree about the vetbed, really nice when new but icky once it gets used for while :P

Yep, I use and recommend Medibed. My guineas love to forage in it and its snuggly enough for them to sleep on too. I put a pile of hay in for them to play in and some hay in racks too. Only 2 of mine have ever shown any preference for sleeping on Vetbed- they love it, but the others don't mind ::) In the summer I use Aubiose and put Medibed under the Fiddlestix.

You need to try everyhting and stick with what suits you :)

I dont know about Medibed but Russel rabbit gets pretty icky when its wet based on my experience with it. Now I only use it for my gerbils who dont pee much.

Medibed isn't as absorbent as Aubiose (which can be used under Medibed) but is a soft bedding. At the end of the day all bedding gets nasty when too wet and has to be changed :)

This is true :)

I just want to find something that keeps them happy, healthy and cosy and doesn't stress me out! :D I imagine it'll be fairly easy to do a daily spot check/corner scoop in the places they 'go' most.

Karen, how often do you find your herd need a full clean with the natural bedding? :)

My C+C cages are cleaned out twice wheekly, but I top up Medibed as needed and take out bedding from under some of the fiddlestix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back