Fear aggression during bonding

Freya1234

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi I posted about my bonding experience in this thread here: Bonding Winston with some girls

Unfortunately yesterday after 3 and a half hours I called the bonding off between my neutered boy Winston (cream long hair) and the new girls. One of the girls; Syrup (white teddy) was showing lots of fear aggression that was getting worse as the bonding went on to the point where she hunkered down in the corner away from Rosie (short hair tri-colour) and Winston and would wheek, lunge and nip if either of them went near her. She seemed okay until Winston rumblestrutted and that is what seemed to make her anxious and then she just got progressively worse. The rescue said they hadn’t seen this kind of behaviour in her so I wonder if she’s had a bad experience previously with a boar? Once back in the side by side cage she was happily sniffing Winston’s nose and interacting with him.

I was reading up on fear aggression and thought maybe I should let her settle in for a few more days with Winston side by side then try again or is the success rate going to be very unlikely?

Here is a video of the bonding I didn’t film her lunging and nipping though since I got too anxious: Bonding video

Aw, what a shame as Winston and the other girl seemed quite relaxed. I hope you can find another little lady for Winston very soon 🤞

I have bonded mixsexed piggies twice. one was an absolute dream and the second was an absolute nightmare! You never can tell what it’s going to be like, so sorry for you

Aw, what a shame as Winston and the other girl seemed quite relaxed. I hope you can find another little lady for Winston very soon 🤞

I have bonded mixsexed piggies twice. one was an absolute dream and the second was an absolute nightmare! You never can tell what it’s going to be like, so sorry for you
Thank you! I was so stressed and anxious one of them was going to get hurt definitely not the most enjoyable few hours. I thought I might give Syrup a few more days to settle and then try and bond them again but would you suggest I shouldn’t try again another day and that it’s pretty much a fail?

Can you hand these girls back to the rescue if it fails? I think I would give it another go if you can stand the stress in a few days time. Such a shame Syrup is so fearful. Otherwise I would ditch it and see if you can try with a different pair. A young (baby)female might be better
My last bonding attempt was scary, Hector was a thug and the girls fell out temporarily.

Can you hand these girls back to the rescue if it fails? I think I would give it another go if you can stand the stress in a few days time. Such a shame Syrup is so fearful. Otherwise I would ditch it and see if you can try with a different pair. A young (baby)female might be better
My last bonding attempt was scary, Hector was a thug and the girls fell out temporarily.
Gosh that must have been so scary for you I hope you managed to find a lovely husboar for your girls, luckily the girls were happy back together in the cage but I was a bit worried since their bond is still quite new. Yes that is the plan with the rescue if the bonding fails I’m just keeping my fingers crossed a bit longer settling in beside Winston might help and then we’re trying bonding again on Saturday

Sadly no! I left the girls be as their fallout was only brief. They loved Ted, he was such a gentleman. Hector was young and horny, with no manners. We did get Hector a little wife though so it all ended well in the end

Back