• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

fatty lump or abcess

• Thread starter Thread starter ksiusha237
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

ksiusha237

Hello once again,
Sorry to be a bother but I had a small question. I've mentioned about my guinea pig's growth on his neck, but I was interested to know if both fatty lumps and abcesses are attatched to something? Or do they both float? My guinea pig's growth is attatched to something.

Thank you,
Ksiusha

I should take him/her to be checked out. It may be nothing but at leats if it grows into something your vet will have seen how it was before and that its got worse.

I have some pigtures of lanced abscesses on the neck (chin), is this where you mean? Under the jaw?

rootabday1.jpg

Tooth root abscess

Just lanced and then I flushed it x2 daily with a Baytril solution and she had Baytril orally too. Her teeth sorted themselves out though one is still a funny colour but not dead ie still growing (!) Calista was a candidate for the bead surgery but we decided against it as it has pockets in it ::) , and only flares up occasionaly but I flush it and she has some Baytril. During it all she doesn't stop eating but doesn't react well to Baytril so probiotics are important for her :)

No, I'm Ksiusha.

I do not have a picture, you cannot see this from the outside. I have been to the vet, they were unsure and said to not worry unless it gets much bigger or he becomes ill.

Is the fatty lump attatched to anything and is the abcess as well? Shura's growth is attatched to something definitly.

-Ksiusha

Oh that piccie looks bad poor piggy :-\ Look at his broken teeth to that must of been hard for him to eat :-* :smitten:
Is is ok now Karen ? ?
ksiusha237 i have no experience with abscesses or anything so i am sorry about this and hope your piggy is ok 0:)

A fatty lump and abscess are different things. You couldn't see Calistas but could feel where the lump was and a needlerevealed lots of pus. Where are you K? Perhaps it would be a good idea to see another vet?

She's fine ILA. Her teeth wore unevenly because 1 tooth died back for a while and she had a V shape in her top Incors which didn't harm her appetite ::) Molars kept level and were watched but no need to do any filing/trimming. She did have the 'dead' tooth trimmed to see if it was dead or had any life left in it but its grown back- albeit wonky ::)

She's absolutely fine and wheeks with the best of them.

Hello,
Yes, I understand they are different things. I am in North America from Russia. Are both abcesses and fatty lumps attatched to something? Do they both appear this way? Sorry if I am unclear.

-Ksiusha

I don't thinkfatty lumps are attached and probably not some abscesses but I've had abscesses that feel tight to the bone. Some you can only feel under the skin,not always on top :)

Hi Ksiusha....I'm sorry to hear about your piggy. I just went through a terrible ordeal with my piggy (and still not over) with an abscess. Mine was growning out the side of his neck and was huge. I can tell you that I can feel the lump move. It felt like a hard lump that moved back and forth under the skin. An abscess grows really quickly. Mine started out like a pea and in 1-2 weeks was almost as big as a ping pong ball. I don't know much about a fatty lump but I heard it is similar. If you look at my post "My Guinea Pig Has A Lump", I got wonderful help from others for my piggys abscess on how to take care of it. Are you in Canada? I'm in NY. The vet can determine by looking. I hope it's nothing serious. Please let us know the outcome. Good luck to you...

Hello,
Thank you for the response. It seems that he has had this lump, since the beginning of september when I noticed it. The size has not changed much, maybe a cm or so it has become bigger. It is moveable and is attatched to something. Shura doesn't behave unsusual, he continues to eat and be his crazy self. He is very outgoing guinea pig. My neighbor is a doctor and has been observing his growth. She says it feel slightly larger, but it is softer. His growth is not growing fast like your guinea pigs, the size has not changed a lot. It does not seem serious. I just become worried sometimes. I am carefully keeping my eye on it each day. I do remember when he was little he used to paw at his mouth, and I became very worried. This happened twice. Then it went away, and he continued to eat and act himself. I am wondering if this began a while ago, and has become bigger. But for now, it seems consistent. Thank you for the help and I will look at your post.

Ksiusha and the pigs

I agree that it does not sound like an abscess. From experience with my guinea and from what I've read, abscesses grow very rapidly. Mine appeared over night and grew very large within days. I read that an abscess will grow that quickly. It does sound like a fatty lump. Fatty lumps are similar to an abscess. I read so much on guinea lumps when mine developed his, and except for the rapid growth, a fatty lump was much the same. I by far not an expert on lumps, but I read that a tumor or cyst would cause the guinea to look or act sick. (like not eating or drinking). That's how I knew my guinea didn't have a tumor or cyst. He was to perky. But your guinea needs to be checked by an experienced vet, who can immediatley tell you what is wrong. Have you checked in the phone book for a doc that specializes in exotics? That's how I found my vet. She was one of the only ones in the area, but she knew her stuff. The minute she saw my piggy she said, looks like an abscess (which it was). If it turns out to be a fatty lump, they may not have to remove it, unless it's in a spot that hinders the guineas everyday activities. It seems like your guinea has had the lump for a while with no problems. So I take that as a good sign. Guineas go downhill so quickly when they are sick. I hope everything is ok with your guinea. I get a little crazy with reading articles, but when my piggy got his lump, I searched all over the internet for any info I could get on lumps on guinea pigs. And got so much information. That's how I stumpled on this forum and I'm so happy I found it because it has been a blessing for me! Such supportive people have helped during the time that my guinea pig was sick. He is still sick, but healing nicely. I have recieved wonderful information on how to take care of my sick guinea. I do hope you get the help for your guinea. If you type under search on the internet "guinea pigs and lumps" you can't believe all the info you'll get. It took me to so many websites. I got so much information on lumps and what it could be that I figured out it was an abscess before I went to the doc. Like I said, since your little piggy has shown no syptoms of illness since the lump appeared, I'd say that's a very good sign, but only an experienced vet would know. What is your next move with your guinea? I wish you the best luck. Please let us know how he progresses.

Hello :)
I do appreciate your concern very much. I do believe also that it is a fatty lump, because it fits this description. It has not been growing so fast like an abcess. I have of course been keeping a close eye on it. I took him to the vet in september when it was discovered. They said they can take a sample of it with a needle, but need to sedate him for this(I forgot the term for this, maybe a biopsy? I think it was a different word). I was not comfortable to sedate him, I was worried he will not wake up. They said since he appears not sick and eating, drinking being his normal self there is no reason to panic and collect this sample. They said it could be an abcess, cyst or fatty lump. I do believe it is a fatty lump, I think sometimes I panic too much. I think what I will do, is monitor him closely to make sure he is well and watch his growth and how it progresses. He is not in a state where he needs to go to the vet, he is not sick like that. But I will keep a close eye on him and hope he will be fine. He is himself very much, he is excited all the time eating and sitting with his toy octupus. He is drinking, and loves his pellets. Both the pigs love their pellets very much and eat the hay always. From watching him all the time, he does not seem ill and I hope he will continue to be this way.

I hope that your guinea pig will become well too.
Thank you very much for your concern,
Ksiusha
and the guinea pigs(morskie svinki)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back