• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

fatty eye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me what fatty eye is and is there a cure for it? I am not asking for myself but for someone else.
Thanks!

Amazon has a fatty eye and it doesnt seem to bother her although it makes her look crosseyed ;D ;D

Wilson had fatty eye I think... where the bottom of his eye droops, Wilsons goes to normal sometimes but then when it drops down again I do up a salt water solution ( 1 part salt 2 parts water ) and put a drop in each eye once a day :) until its better :)

I have never heard of it before. Is it painful for a guinea piggy and can it get passed on from guinea to guinea. Also can rabbits get it? :'(

no, its genetic i think, nope not painful at all! my gracey has a fatty eye...but it doesnt affect her vision really do its fine...they can be lasered off if they do :)

It is actually illegal to remove the 'fatty eye' type growths as it is seen as cosmetic surgery! We were having a chat about it the other week with a friend who had just come back from the CCT and I was amazed to discover this! Imagine - cosmetic surgery for piggies - whatever next!

Once a piggie has fatty eye it will never go away but it doesn't seem to bother them at all thankfully. I've had a few boys with it over the years and I think it makes them look even cuter somehow in a hang-dog kind of way.

There are some good pictures of fatty eyes on the health section of barmy 4 boars for those who haven't seen it before.

It is actually illegal to remove the 'fatty eye' type growths as it is seen as cosmetic surgery!

i thought if it affected ther sight it was okay to remove it? Is it not? So the pig just has to loose the use of the eye? :o

Fatty eye wouldn't make them lose their sight as far as I know as it doesn't actually damage the eye ball itself just the membrane at the side. Obviously if a pig was going to lose their sight an eye would have to be treated but I don't see how fatty eye itself could ever cause this to happen.

As I said I hadn't heard that it was considered as cosmetic surgery until my friend told me about it after going to the CCT. I know fatty eye is considered as a fault in a show pig and I suppose this is why surgery to correct it is regarded as cosmetic? It's very sad to think of but I'm sure a few nasty breeders would put their pigs through unnecessary surgery to aid their show career and reduce any 'faults' hence the surgery being illegal.

i dont mean make them loose their sight as in damage the eye...i mean if it was really big and blocked their sight (if you know what i mean  :-\ )

and i can understand while thats been put in place...it is very sad to think that people would do that! :(

Fatty eye is where the muscle of the lower eyelid bulges out, due to excess fat that has built up in the tissue around the eye. Guineas that have fatty eye usually have droopy or saggy looking eyes, and you normally see a grey/ white or sometimes pinkish area of fat. Like everyone has said fatty eye is thought to be genetic and it should not effect a guinea to the point that something needs to be done, however, if fatty eye starts to interfere with a guineas sight it will be treated. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back