• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Fat Piggy

• Thread starter Thread starter Elle
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Elle

Hi can anyone offer some advice?
My eldest girl Laska is getting really fat. She is very soft and wobbly under her chin and around her belly, what is the best way to help her slim down, bearing in mind she shares a cage with two other girls who are in lovely shape? They all get fed the same foods and get the same outdoors/ out of cage time so I am also wondering if it could be something glandular/ other underlying cause? Anyone else have this problem?

It could possibly just be her intended shape :) I have a few with the 'wobbly' chin but they are fit too (apart from one who is constantly pear shape, her mum was the same but I thought with her it was because she'd been bred from). It seems shape is one of the inherited things.

Could you post a pigture of her? Is she the Top Sow and getting more food perhaps? Cutting down on dry food and giving more hay helps in these situations but you need to know who's eating what. Discount any medical problems then go from there :)

Thanks I will try to post a pigture later, she is the top sow and may get more food but if that is the case I haven't noticed, they all seem to eat when they feel like it and never squabble over food (except when they start at different ends of the same piece of cabbage!). Also they don't eat a lot of dry food, more hay and veggies, hence the confusion!

Is she a rex? They are usually a big breed, I have a 9mth old rex who is HUGE, :o but his cage mate is 10mth aby x who looks small against him but is normal size like the others. Some breeds are just larger than others

No, she is a crested shorthair, in with another shorthair and an abyssinian cross. I know what you mean though, my latest arrival is like a cross between a sheep and a rat and looks bigger than any of them though he is just 6 mnths. Don't know what breed he is but his hair is like wool and he's white, black, ginger and grey/brown.

i think some piggers are diff shapes my morgan looks like a butternut squash but black..and wobbly lol

One of my guineas is fatter than the other,But they both get lots of excersie.It's probably just its natural shape.

Elle, it could be she's picking off all the starchy/sugary veg (sweetcorn, carrot, apple etc), but if the others are OK don't worry just watch them :)

Thanks for your help everyone, I can't get a picture online at the mo because the PC at home is playing up but I will keep watching them, I think maybe I was just being paranoid, I have a cat with weight problems and am worrying about that sort of thing at the minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back