Fast Growing Curely Nails?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
one of my 4 pigs has and has always had nails that growl curled right into her toe and at a very very fast speed.. I'm cutting them every single week to prevent them growing into her toe.. is there anything that can be done and does anyone know what might have caused it? she is 4 years old, ive had her from a baby and she has previous health issues like she has a cyst on her belly (its been seen by the vets, they keep draining it but it comes back, nothing they can do for it at the moment as it isn't causing her pain).. any help?

Nails can get thicker and curlier with age and turning downwards into the pad of the foot is not uncommon. Some nails even grow into corkscrew shapes, my older pig has some nails that try to corkscrew and are hard to cut. All you can really do is trim them often so that they don't end up irritating the pad of the foot and keep them trimmed as short as you can without cutting the quick of the nail. I actually just cut the nails on both my pigs tonight and had them growing in all directions on the front feet, particularly my older pig who is almost 6 and hates getting her nails cut (fortunately she has mellowed with age and is losing vision, meaning her attempts to bite me are more easily avoided than in her younger days! That one HATES nail trims!)

I have an old lady pig that is not far off 6 and her nails splay out to the sides and have to be trimmed weekly - they have always been like this and I have had her for 4 years

Two of my older girls have nails that curl. I just have to trim them little and often to avoid them getting out of control :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back