Failed bath

Cait_lin

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'd noticed that Pumpkin seemed to have a messy grease gland so I read the reread the boar guide so that I would know what to do. Applying the coconut oil was fine, I gave him some hay to distract him. But when I put him in the basin (basin was on directly on the floor in case he tried to jump out) he was immediately freaked out, climbed out and shook off the water like a little dog. I tried to put him back in but he was so stressed out and I couldn't calm him down so I ended up just drying him with a towel, holding him for a bit still in the towel to keep him warm (during which time he calmed down) and putting him back in the cage in a fleece hide. He seems alright now but I'm just wondering is it bad if I didn't wash the coconut oil out? I'm just worried in case he eats/licks any remaining coconut oil while he's grooming himself, will that be bad for him? Poor little one looked traumatised </3

I'd noticed that Pumpkin seemed to have a messy grease gland so I read the reread the boar guide so that I would know what to do. Applying the coconut oil was fine, I gave him some hay to distract him. But when I put him in the basin (basin was on directly on the floor in case he tried to jump out) he was immediately freaked out, climbed out and shook off the water like a little dog. I tried to put him back in but he was so stressed out and I couldn't calm him down so I ended up just drying him with a towel, holding him for a bit still in the towel to keep him warm (during which time he calmed down) and putting him back in the cage in a fleece hide. He seems alright now but I'm just wondering is it bad if I didn't wash the coconut oil out? I'm just worried in case he eats/licks any remaining coconut oil while he's grooming himself, will that be bad for him? Poor little one looked traumatised </3
If you do bath him at some stage, it's good to test the water with your elbow. It should be body temperature and neither cold nor hot. But it's possible that if he doesn't really need bathing, it might be easier to leave it.

When I clean my boys grease glands with coconut oil I never wash it off. They just look a bit greasy for a few days.
Every now and then I give mine a coconut oil hair treatment. I don't wash off, and their crazy hair is so entertaining for a few days. Lots of grooming happens to. Actually I read somewhere it can help pigs to bond as they will lick it off each other (haven't tried this myself)

I've always got a towel in the bottom of sink/ basin/ bath so it's not slippery, first time baths, I put anything I want to use either in their coat or in the bath water. Then I wrap the piggie in a towel and slowly lower into the water, before they get to wriggley I take them out and I might do that once or twice depending how dirty they are. After that slow, positive and warm experience I find I can ditch the towel wrap for round two. I don't want to bath them often but they do get warm water soaks every couple of weeks as they get dirty exploring the garden all day! As long as they're happy I don't mind 🥰

If you do bath him at some stage, it's good to test the water with your elbow. It should be body temperature and neither cold nor hot. But it's possible that if he doesn't really need bathing, it might be easier to leave it.
Thank you! I tried to make it lukewarm, though our taps are a bit fiddly so one was putting out freezing cold water and the other boiling hot. One corner of the basin ended up a bit colder and although I tried to keep Pumpkin away from that part of the basin maybe the cold water still managed to get on him 🙁 I think you're right, at least he has short hair and he cleans himself well so I shouldn't have to put him through another bath

Every now and then I give mine a coconut oil hair treatment. I don't wash off, and their crazy hair is so entertaining for a few days. Lots of grooming happens to. Actually I read somewhere it can help pigs to bond as they will lick it off each other (haven't tried this myself)
Aww that's so cute! Thank you!

I've always got a towel in the bottom of sink/ basin/ bath so it's not slippery, first time baths, I put anything I want to use either in their coat or in the bath water. Then I wrap the piggie in a towel and slowly lower into the water, before they get to wriggley I take them out and I might do that once or twice depending how dirty they are. After that slow, positive and warm experience I find I can ditch the towel wrap for round two. I don't want to bath them often but they do get warm water soaks every couple of weeks as they get dirty exploring the garden all day! As long as they're happy I don't mind 🥰
I put the towel at the bottom of the basin, but I'd never heard of that idea of lowering them into the water while in a towel! Thank you so much! I will definitely give that a go if I have to bathe Moss 😊 (He's generally more cooperative with nail clipping and things anyway so maybe he'll be a little water baby) Aww they must have so much fun running around and exploring!

I put the towel at the bottom of the basin, but I'd never heard of that idea of lowering them into the water while in a towel! Thank you so much! I will definitely give that a go if I have to bathe Moss 😊 (He's generally more cooperative with nail clipping and things anyway so maybe he'll be a little water baby) Aww they must have so much fun running around and exploring!
I love his name, Moss! Cute & simple! I lose hours just sitting outside with them watching them do their piggie things 😂 best life decision I ever made was adding piggies to the family!

I love his name, Moss! Cute & simple! I lose hours just sitting outside with them watching them do their piggie things 😂 best life decision I ever made was adding piggies to the family!
Aw thank you! 😊 Outdoor time + piggy watch really is the best combination 🩷

One of my piggies gets a messy grease gland now and then. The easiest way for both of us is to do the coconut oil, then place the piggy on a towel. I take a small amount of water in my hand and wet the spot where the coconut oil is. Next I put a bit of shampoo (I use Gorgeous Guineas shampoo) on my fingertip and clean the oil away. Then I take more water, rub away the suds, and wipe with the towel. Barely any fur gets wet, the grease gland is clean, and we're both happy!

One of my piggies gets a messy grease gland now and then. The easiest way for both of us is to do the coconut oil, then place the piggy on a towel. I take a small amount of water in my hand and wet the spot where the coconut oil is. Next I put a bit of shampoo (I use Gorgeous Guineas shampoo) on my fingertip and clean the oil away. Then I take more water, rub away the suds, and wipe with the towel. Barely any fur gets wet, the grease gland is clean, and we're both happy!
Thank you so much! That sounds so much easier and less stressful on the piggy 🥰

Back