Fabrics for bedding/padding

Kancil

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I’ve been thinking about making my own bedding (for the whole cage area) and I’m quite confused by the fabric choices. As from my I learned to create a good padding there needs to be 3 layers (a top layer to pull moisture, a middle layer to absorb moisture, and a last layer to prevent leaking).

For the top layer I have chosen fleece blanket as I’ve heard it is really good to pull moisture and minimal smelling.

For the middle layer I am in a bit of dilemma. I’ve heard PUL, Zorb, Terry Bamboo is good for this usage but I can’t find any of the fabrics in my country (have searched online and no supplier). So I am deciding whether I should go for a 100% cotton towel or cotton bamboo. I’ve never used cotton bamboo before in any of my clothings/towelings that’s why I am quite unsure with their absorbability. Does anyone know which on is better or is there any other fabric that has good absorption, fast drying, and minimal smelling?

Lastly for the last layer, I was thinking of waterproof mattress protector but I’ve read in this forum that it can be very smelly after some time? If yes is there an alternative to this fabric or should I just forgo the last layer?

Thank you so much! Btw this is where I got my reference. I think it’s a very good video with lots of fabric option and clear instructions!

Hi! The waterproof layer can make the inside smell after a time, if it's only for the cage/enclosure and you have something under to protect your floor you can skip that. You can order Zorb online but it's expensive.
I made some pee pads with old cotton towels and fleece on top, but I find they don't dry as fast. I don't know if cotton bamboo would dry faster, maybe try to make a pee pad and see how it works.
To make liners I use a thin fabric that is meant to be used in hospitals and old people's homes to protect their mattress or sofa, it has a waterproof back, absorbing center and thin cotton top but hay sticks to it a lot so I stitch a layer of fleece on top. It's worth asking your local fabric store if they have anything similar. I never had problems with smell, as long as you spot clean and change pee pads every day.
It's useful to wash your fabrics before you make the liners so they are already shrunk, and the fleece is ready to wick. Cut them a bit bigger than you need so they'll still be the right size if they shrink more with future washing. Good luck & let us know how it goes!

I use puppy pee pads underneath the fleece bedding, so my fleece bedding has just 2 layers without the water-proof at the very bottom. I cut them and give them to seamstress to sew.

Thank you guys for the input! I think I’ll go with cotton bamboo towelling with fleece on top. I’m going to skip the last layer as my cage is layered with plastic flooring already and I will be using lots of pee pads in the cage itself. Will review the cotton bamboo soon!

Back