• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

eyes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. this is the first time i have posted on here so please forgive me if the question i have has been answered. i was wandering what people used on there g.p eyes if they had a little discharge. i always take mine to a vet which ends up costing a small fortune. i have no probelm wth this but was wandering if there was something else i could try first. many thanks ^-^

White milky discharge is normal, other discharge I would take them to the vet. Whats the discharge like?

If the discharge is clear,and/or there is a gritty substance in the corner of the eye,it may be that the tear duct has become blocked,or there may be a seed or other foreign body.Wash the eye with either Brolene eye drops or Optrex. Put the drops into the eye then gently massage along the lower eye lid starting at the inne corner and working out.

I take it that the nose is clear and the piggy is not wheezing?Does the eye look inflammed ?.

Hay dust in the eye is fairly common,so this is the most likely cause.

thanks for the reply's. i dont have a piggie with a bad eye a the moment but i have done recently which cost me £80 at the vets. would just like to know how to help first off

Ive had 3 piggies with eye infections in the last few months, the vets is the only way really I'm afraid. Its best to get antibiotic drops for infections or if there's something in there i think its best to get to the vets to be on the safe side. Saying that, all 3 of mine together didnt cost me that much for treatment so are there any other vets you could try where it may be less expensive? i think the drops only cost me £10 a bottle x

i actually took her first off to a vet i hadn't been to before. i foster rabbits for the rspca and had to pick one up so thought i would use the vets while there. they gave me different treatment than my vets would've done, i had to take her back for a check and as the eye still wasn't right they gave me more antibiotics. anyway this still didn't work so i took her to my own vets they gave me what i have had before and it cleared up in a few days. so the whole experience was around £80 ::) ::)

What was wrong with it? 'Discharge' or watery eyes could be the sign of dental probs too but there are usually other things that go with this.

the eye ha gone completely white and was quite painful. they did think they might have to take her eye out but thankfully she got better. she is fine now and it hasn't come back

Could it be cattaracts? I worry about Twinkles eyes, they are bright but sometimes he looks like he has crusts. He has a jet black face and realise that it is just the milky substance to clean himself with. That boy! He is such a dennis the menace!

Hope your pigs is ok, if in doubt I'd run her the vet! :smitten:

Sounds like a hay poke injury, the 'white' is natures way of healing. Some Fucithalmic antibiotic 'cream' / drops are what I use but you need to get them from the vet, gives you a chance to get them checked too :) If thats what it was £80 was too much and I don't think its a difficult thing to get right ::) Most of the time this rights itself but infection can get in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back