• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eye ulcer

tuesdayholiday

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, my piggy has had an ulcer now for 10 days. He was okay the night before and the next day his eye was terribly swollen. I took him to the vet the next day and they started him on antibiotic eye drops, oral antibiotic and a pain medicine. No one informed me the eye drops were supposed to be refrigerated so they were not for a full week. I took him back this Friday, they said he is looking better and put him on another 10 day course of antibiotics. I got a different set of techs this time and they informed me of the medication needing to be refrigerated as well as put a sticker on the bottle. The first picture of a side view is today and the front view is day one. Has anyone had any success without needing surgery? Should I have noticed a big difference by now? I am afraid the first set of antibiotics didn’t work as well since it was not stored properly. I am worried for him and I am trying to remain hopeful. IMG_6228.webpIMG_6328.webp

Welcome to the forum

Ouch that looks very serious.

What has your vet said about the chances of this recovering without needing enucleation?
Is the eye still pushed out like it is in the first picture?
What antibiotic has your piggy been on?
Did the vet check whether this is actually a retrobulbar abscess. It rather looks a lot more serious than an ulcer

Oh my word your poor baby. As above if the eye is still in this condition I would go back immediately. Also I'm hoping he is on pain killers 😢

It is still pushed out, but now he does blink when I place eye drops. He didn’t/couldn't even do the motion of blinking when it happened. The vet is hopeful he will not need surgery. We were supposed to make the decision Friday to have surgery but after examining him, she decided for another round of antibiotics. The vet did not mention anything other than an ulcer from either scratching or something poking it. She did say his eye is infected, and it was an ulcer. He is on eye drops called Super mix, metacam and sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim. His scab fell off yesterday and I sent the vet pictures, they said it looks better and that there doesn’t seem to be any trauma to the eye. He has another appointment in a week.

Attachments

• IMG_6330.webp
    IMG_6330.webp
    62.9 KB · Views: 2
It is still pushed out, but now he does blink when I place eye drops. He didn’t/couldn't even do the motion of blinking when it happened. The vet is hopeful he will not need surgery. We were supposed to make the decision Friday to have surgery but after examining him, she decided for another round of antibiotics. The vet did not mention anything other than an ulcer from either scratching or something poking it. She did say his eye is infected, and it was an ulcer. He is on eye drops called Super mix, metacam and sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim. His scab fell off yesterday and I sent the vet pictures, they said it looks better and that there doesn’t seem to be any trauma to the eye. He has another appointment in a week.

Hi and welcome

Ouch. That is about as bad as it can get without losing the eye. I am keeping my fingers very firmly crossed that your piggy can make it through. Has your vet considered a retrobulbar abscess (an abscess behind the eyeball)?

Please also order some carbomer based (human) tear gel. It is crucial in keeping the eye hydrated for comfort and in providing an ideal healing environment. This will help to speed up the healing process.
Please use tear gel and not drop. It is much longer working than eye drops, penetrates deeper and is more efficient than eye drops. Any brand will do; there is plenty on amazon comparable places.
In a severe case apply 3-6 times over the course of 24 hours but you need to wait at least half an hour after any antibiotic eyedrops in order to allow them to be fully absorbed first.

All the best.

I do have the drops- I did not know they made gel, I will get some. That very helpful information, thank you!

You may find these links here very helpful and want to bookmark them:

Honestly I would go back to the vet straight away. That doesnt look good at all, perhaps there is something more going on besides an ulcer 🙁

Is he on any pain relief?

Poor piggy.
I have seen Saskia at Los Angeles Guinea Pig Rescue successfully treat eyes as bad if not worse than that without the need for eye removal. The eye needs to be kept really well lubricated with gel as well as using the anti biotic drops. If you look at her You tube channel I'm sure she had a video of what she does and which gels she uses.
Good luck, I hope you can save his eye.

I hope he gets better soon.

Back