• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eye removal recovery

Dani06

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, my little Ralph who is 8 years old had eye removal surgery yesterday. Was just looking for any recovery advice anyone has and how it was for your piggie if they’ve been through the same. Thank you

I hope everything went well with the op. There have been some members whose piggies had eyes removed. I can’t remember off the top of my head though. Perhaps have a search and see what you can find.

With regards recovery advice, be guided by your vet and what they say you should do. Has he been prescribed any meds?

PS I’ll tag @furryfriends (TEAS) @alpacasqueak

The op went well, he’s eating and active which is so good! He’s on metacam and septrin twice a day. Think we both need to adjust to him living with one eye, being more thoughtful about approaching him on his good side etc and for him I’ve noticed he’s a little off balance when scratching or turning. The vets have said no big piles of hay as we need to avoid hay touching the area. I’ve noticed him scratching the area a little but hoping he wont be able to remove or damage the stitches. Thank you for your reply 😊

Wishing him well. I’ve not had a one eyed piggy, but there are plenty of members who have done. I hope his recovery continues to go well.

Wishing him a speedy recovery. I don’t have any experience of this but it's great he’s up and eating ok.

My Larry had his eye removed when he was about a year old with Simon and Kim at the Cat and rabbit clinic.
I was so worried how he'd be when I collected him but it was like he hadn't even had surgery!
I put a c and c grid barrier between him and his friend Eric for a couple of days to make sure there was no overly boisterous behaviour, then they went back together again with no issues.
His eye healed beautifully, and he soon adapted to life with one eye (before losing the sight in his remaining eye!) But he could really see out of the eye anyway so I don't suppose it made much difference to him.
At the other end of the scale a few years back we had a piggy called Simon who had his eye removed who didn't really recover well from the anaesthetic and passed away in the night 😢

I think if your piggy is up and about and eating well you should be good! Glad it seems to have gone well 😊

I think @alpacasqueak has had eye removals done and, I may be misremembering, but what about @Eriathwen ?
I havent yet *touch wood*
It's a possibility for Forrest but not yet luckily.

From what little I do know, they have quite a headache for a few days after and pressure, so adequate pain meds are needed but it sounds like the little one is doing well.

My Larry had his eye removed when he was about a year old with Simon and Kim at the Cat and rabbit clinic.
I was so worried how he'd be when I collected him but it was like he hadn't even had surgery!
I put a c and c grid barrier between him and his friend Eric for a couple of days to make sure there was no overly boisterous behaviour, then they went back together again with no issues.
His eye healed beautifully, and he soon adapted to life with one eye (before losing the sight in his remaining eye!) But he could really see out of the eye anyway so I don't suppose it made much difference to him.
At the other end of the scale a few years back we had a piggy called Simon who had his eye removed who didn't really recover well from the anaesthetic and passed away in the night 😢

I think if your piggy is up and about and eating well you should be good! Glad it seems to have gone well 😊
Sounds like Larry recovered amazingly! So sorry to hear about Simon. Ralph is still recovering well 🙏🏼

So glad Ralph got through his op and was recovering well, hope he’s still doing great :) I’ve had a piggy aged 6 and a chinchilla aged 8 both have eye removal surgeries and both do well (although I was a wreck!), my chin Pedro had lots of aftercare as he was a special case(!) but RB Jess did brilliantly, healed pretty fast and coped amazingly with one eye!
Hope Ralph is adjusting well and all healed now @Dani06 :)

Back