• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eye Problem? Please help!

• Thread starter Thread starter Cavylover101
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cavylover101

On Friday morning I looked at one of my Cavy's eyes, and it had a small, red, mass in the front corner of her eye. That's really the only way to describe it. It's a bit bigger than a pin-head. The cavy that has this eye problem is around eight months old, and female. I'm planing on taking her to the vet tomorrow, since they're closed today(Sunday). I'm currently giving her Clear Eyes brand eye drops. They don't seem to be helping or hurting her that much. She's acting very normal, not sluggish or anything. I'm suspecting that it may be Cherry Eye. My pig is currently sharing a cage with another pig, so I hope it's not contagious. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Could also be an eye poke injury, sometimes they 'pop up' like that. Best to go to the vets though just in case and get some antibiotic eye drops :)

Ok. Thank you. I've been trying to get a picture to post, but the pictures keep coming out of focus.

Have a look at guinea lynx as well under eyes, there is some info there on cherry eye and eye poke injuries.

I've never got a good eye injury pigture. I'd take her to the vets as well just in case. It won't hurt to have some drops. If its an injury it'll go within a few days probably, Cherry eye will stay and if its like/the same as pea eye its not contagious and not usually a problem (very very rarely it becomes irritant).

SunshineAndTwinkle said:
Have a look at guinea lynx as well under eyes, there is some info there on cherry eye and eye poke injuries.

Thank you, though I already have.

I called the Vet today, he could already tell on the phone, it's Cherry Eye. There's no treatment for it, but it's not painful or uncomfortable. So, at least it's not something major!

karenrgpr said:
Cavylover101 said:
Could an Eye ulcer be possible?

Yes, I've had ulcers come up like a cherry eye.

Well, since the vet said it's most likely cherry eye, I'm just going to let it go, unless she starts to feel bad(which she hasn't so far).

My boys went down a couple of days after he'd done it, I think he probably caught a blood vessel, so it probably is cherry eye :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back