• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eye injury- is this hay poke?

bay3398

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My 4yo Female Abyssinian Pooh has an eye injury. It appears prolapsed to me from what I can tell. I've done a lot of reading here on the forum and other health articles but I can't figure out what this is and what to do about it. It it not painful for her.

Thanks for any help :)

Pveo7L3.jpg

bjomahV.jpg

CdIRiLJ.jpg

That looks rather sore and like it needs an urgent vet check to get proper dignosis and treatment! Please see the vet as a matter of urgency, no amount of online reading and speculating can provide an alternative to proper vet care. Hope your piggy is ok x

Hi!

Please have this seen by a vet promptly; it looks very sore!
It look more like something burst to me - but whatever it is, it needs antibiotics in some form, whether as drops or oral.

Ouch that does look painful. Please see a vet asap the eyes are delicate and can go downhill quickly

Oh heck, that does look nasty, that can't be left.
I wouldn't be so sure about it not being a tad painful, certainly uncomfortable in any case.
Good luck.

I'll get her into the vet as soon as I can. It does look real nasty but as far as I can tell she isn't in pain.

One of my pigs had hay poke a lot as a youngster and it never looked like that. I'm curious what that is. Hope she's ok, let us know.

Just happened to be reading a guide on here about when to call the vet and read something called cherry eye. It could be that?

I emailed the photos to the piggies' vet and they said it looks like the soft tissue around the eye and that it's not an immediate emergency so I got an appointment in a few days.

I don't know if it's cherry eye, I read up on it a little bit too and this seems similar, but different.

Back