• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eye injury and I have no Brolene in

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicano

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One of my pigs that is prone to eye injuries (I think she will have to have it removed :() is looking dreadful. She has a piece of the inner tissue of the upper lid (near the inner corner) protruding, and her eye is weeping. This has all happened over the space of no more than 4 hours. I am worried it is another hay poke injury, but it doesn't look the same as last time - the whole eye was incredibly red last time.

Anyway, she is already on Metacam and Septrin for another problem, but I have no in date Brolene to use. Is there anything I can safely use to bathe it until I can do something tomorrow? Thanks in advance.

Oh no, it sounds bad :-\ ive never experienced this but someone will actually tell you what to do in a few minutes as i havent got a clue but i wish all the best and hope that the eye doesnt have to be removed :-\ Fingers crossed :(

Allercan Refresh - they don't look much cop, as they certainly don't have anything antibacterial in them.

Safer to use the water.What I would use is a teaspoon of salt in warm water.Salt is a natural antiseptic and is surprisingly soothing.Will help till you can get to vet tomorrow anyway.

Didn't manage to get her to the vets today, but it is quite a lot less raw/red (probably due to Septrin and Metacam). Got her an appointment for tomorrow. Have managed to get a photo tonight:

Snowsbadeye.jpg

My Sheltie had an eye problem a while back and I was advised to bathe with cold tea (!) sounds bizarre I know but it seemed to do the trick marvellously. Obviously make sure the tea is stone cold and it MUST be black (piggies are quite sensitive and intolerant to cow's milk). I applied it with a cotton bud, a great deal of care, and crossed fingers!! Good luck :smitten:

Thanks all. :) The vet has called in sick today, so not going now! It actually looks quite a lot better today. I have a feeling it might be cherry eye, but not sure. Does anyone know? Have tried Googling and only really come up with pictures of dogs with it.

That looks exactly the same as an injury my piggie had,The vet seemed to think one of the little ones had maybe scrambled across her and sratched her eye,she had eye drops called Fucithalmic , and it cleared up a few days, anyway hope she feels better soon :)

Ive just read this DON'T DELAY SEEKING VETERINARY TREATMENT.
EYE PROBLEMS CAN RESULT IN PERMANENT DAMAGE OR EYE LOSS IF NOT TREATED.

There is also some very usefull stuff here on eyes of guinea pigs O0

http://www.guinealynx.com/eyes.html

I've already said she is on Septrin and Metacam, and it is clearly improving. I booked an appointment with the vet and they cancelled it today.

pelicano said:
I've already said she is on Septrin and Metacam, and it is clearly improving. I booked an appointment with the vet and they cancelled it today.
Isnt there no other vets near you ? It looks quiteirritating :( Does your piggy have red eyes as they look very red :o

Yes, the pig has naturally red eyes - there is no difference to the pigmentation there. When she had a hay poke injury to the same eye, it was much more red.

I know you are trying to help, but I honestly don't need to be told when to go to the vets - I virtually live there! ;D

pelicano said:
Yes, the pig has naturally red eyes - there is no difference to the pigmentation there. When she had a hay poke injury to the same eye, it was much more red.

I know you are trying to help, but I honestly don't need to be told when to go to the vets - I virtually live there! ;D
sorry for helping then, i gave you a link about all the eye injurys cause you didnt know what it was caused by :-\

I know, and that's why I said I do know you are only trying to help. :) It's just that I am at the vets virtually every week, and I do know when to go, that's all.

pelicano said:
I know, and that's why I said I do know you are only trying to help. :) It's just that I am at the vets virtually every week, and I do know when to go, that's all.
O0

I have said this before and will say it again, please stop quoting guinealynx as a source of information,a lot of the info,is incorrect and drug dosages are often over the top.

Most of the members on this forum are responsible and sensible enough to seek vetinary help without being told to go to a vet.

If someone posts because they are unsure whether the piggy needs a vet or not,that is a different matter.

It is far better to post about your own experience with piggy illness/treatment rather than quote a website.,if you want to do this quote WWW.Petergurney.com which has well researched reliable info..Peter never advocated any treatment he had not used himself.

maryh said:
I have said this before and will say it again, please stop quoting guinealynx as a source of information,a lot of the info,is incorrect and drug dosages are often over the top.

Most of the members on this forum are responsible and sensible enough to seek vetinary help without being told to go to a vet.

If someone posts because they are unsure whether the piggy needs a vet or not,that is a different matter.

It is far better to post about your own experience with piggy illness/treatment rather than quote a website.,if you want to do this quote WWW.Petergurney.com which has well researched reliable info..Peter never advocated any treatment he had not used himself.
Sorry, but i didnt get told before but i guess its in the rules hey which i havent read for ages and i forget easily, i didnt know ?

Hi, how's piggys eye this morning, thought I'd ask as I was thinking about her :smitten:

Not too bad at all thanks. :) It's definitely smaller now. Will speak to the vet about it next time she's there (once the Septrin is finished).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back