• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eye injure or is it normal?

naguya

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I noticed since yesterday that my guinea pig has a dark-brownish spot/stain inside his eye near the pupil. I don't think it was ever there and it just appeared these days, at least I never noticed it, and I'm very attentive to any changes in his body.

Could it be a normal stain, hay poke or onset of some disease?

He's behaving normally, and he doesn't touch/scratch that eye, so it doesn't seem to bother him. There is no discharge, no watering, and no redness.

I can certainly take him to the vet to get checked right tomorrow, but I believe the vet would just say it's normal or say it is an old injury (out of all the vets I've been to, only one seems to know a "little more" about guinea pigs).

This is his "good" eye (the one with this stain), his other eye is apparently almost blind (no stain), at least that's what the vet said last time (which would explain a bit about his tilt head).

What should I do?

IMG_20241008_211312141_HDR~2.webpIMG_20241008_211316297_HDR~2.webpIMG_20241008_211328073_HDR.webp

If there is no redness, discharge or watering, I would assume he is ok. I would just keep a watch on him to make sure it doesn't get worse. It's always good to him to a vet to make sure he's fine, though I personally don't think it would be necessary.
Hopefully a more knowledgeable member can offer more advice. I hope this is nothing to worry about 🙂

I noticed since yesterday that my guinea pig has a dark-brownish spot/stain inside his eye near the pupil. I don't think it was ever there and it just appeared these days, at least I never noticed it, and I'm very attentive to any changes in his body.

Could it be a normal stain, hay poke or onset of some disease?

He's behaving normally, and he doesn't touch/scratch that eye, so it doesn't seem to bother him. There is no discharge, no watering, and no redness.

I can certainly take him to the vet to get checked right tomorrow, but I believe the vet would just say it's normal or say it is an old injury (out of all the vets I've been to, only one seems to know a "little more" about guinea pigs).

This is his "good" eye (the one with this stain), his other eye is apparently almost blind (no stain), at least that's what the vet said last time (which would explain a bit about his tilt head).

What should I do?

View attachment 258060View attachment 258061View attachment 258062

It looks like something has wedged in between the eye and the conjunctiva? However it doesn't look like it is causing any irritation.

If there is no redness, discharge or watering, I would assume he is ok. I would just keep a watch on him to make sure it doesn't get worse. It's always good to him to a vet to make sure he's fine, though I personally don't think it would be necessary.
Hopefully a more knowledgeable member can offer more advice. I hope this is nothing to worry about 🙂
I will monitor him, thank you! I just wonder if this was already there since long or if it suddenly appeared.

It looks like something has wedged in between the eye and the conjunctiva? However it doesn't look like it is causing any irritation.
It seems to have arisen in consonance with the conjunctiva, there is no volume up. I don't know if that could be the case, but do you think it could be melanoma in the eye?

It seems to have arisen in consonance with the conjunctiva, there is no volume up. I don't know if that could be the case, but do you think it could be melanoma in the eye?

No. The melanoma would be growing with irregular edges in and on the cornea. This is far too smooth.

No. The melanoma would be growing with irregular edges in and on the cornea. This is far too smooth.
Well, I guess that's less worrying to know! I will monitor him and see if he shows any difference like redness or discharge throughout the days, and if he does I will take him to the vet.

Thank you so much!

Just for update, it is probably an old injury or something like this. I went looking for his photos when I got him in June (I needed to zoom the photos in, so it decreased the quality), and he already had this stain. I just can't really see if it was smaller or the same size as now. I will keep monitoring him if this stain will increase in size.

Screenshot_20241009-132133.webpScreenshot_20241009-132158.webpScreenshot_20241009-132336.webp

Back