Extremely worried. Oxbow Vitamin C biscuits - Should I and How can I wean my piggies off these?

Popcorns & Wheeks

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, for the last 2 years I have been feeding my piggies oxbow vitamin c biscuits everyday. They were recommended to me by my vet a long time ago now and I always thought that they would do more good than harm but after reading various posts on here I am now extremely worried.

They are all used to getting half a biscuit each per day and now after reading the potential effects of too much vitamin c and the consequences if vitamin c in their system drops I am very concerned.

I just wanted to ask for some advice on whether I should stop giving them oxbow biscuits and if yes, how to do it without risking their health? I really do not want to be responsible for my piggies getting scurvy or ill in any way. I have had so much tragedy regarding my piggies and really cant cope with anymore issues. The only reason I began feeding these is because I thought it would improve their health, I really am so angry at myself. Thanks all.

I also put vitamin c drops in one of their water bottles, is this a cause for concern too? Should I stop supplementing their water too?

Don’t be worried and don’t be angry at yourself. Half a biscuit a day isn’t a huge amount.

This is a thread where stopping was previously discussed. When stopping additional vitamin c you need to reduce the amount you give down very slowly over many many weeks.

Vitamin C Supplements?

Yes, do also stop supplementing the water. It’s never recommended to add anything to drinking water. It can change the taste of the water, discourage drinking and promote algae growth.

Don’t be worried and don’t be angry at yourself. Half a biscuit a day isn’t a huge amount.

This is a thread where stopping was previously discussed. When stopping additional vitamin c you need to reduce the amount you give down very slowly over many many weeks.

Vitamin C Supplements?

Yes, do also stop supplementing the water. It’s never recommended to add anything to drinking water. It can change the taste of the water, discourage drinking and promote algae growth.

Thank you for your reply.

Back