• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Extra toe on pup

• Thread starter Thread starter lamore411
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lamore411

We just has two surprise pups and one has a tiny extra toe on a hind foot. It is not formed....like a little string with a pad of skin. I think I read somewhere to clip a toe like that before it causes health problems. Or do we just leave it? Also, Mom seemd to be barbering Daddy on the rump before she delivered. We did not know she was expecting (We thought she was getting chubby and she is Peruvian so she looks big already!) Could she have been trying to use his hair for nesting? I think rabbits build a nest from belly fur...just thought she may have been too. Thanks in advance for the help!

I think you're best just leaving an extra toe :) a lot of piggys have them and they cause no problems at all. Some even dry up and drop off on their own after a while, dont worry too much :)

Thanks.....I was wondering too, I am from Maine, USA, is everyone else from UK/Europe?

i think there are a few people from usa, and i think a few from other countries, for example australia

lamore411 said:
We just has two surprise pups and one has a tiny extra toe on a hind foot.  It is not formed....like a little string with a pad of skin.  I think I read somewhere to clip a toe like that before it causes health problems.  Or do we just leave it?  Also, Mom seemd to be barbering Daddy on the rump before she delivered.  We did not know she was expecting (We thought she was getting chubby and she is Peruvian so she looks big already!) Could she have been trying to use his hair for nesting?  I think rabbits build a nest from belly fur...just thought she may have been too.  Thanks in advance for the help!

My Huxley has an extra toe attached by a tiny piece of skin, he'll be 3 this year & it's never bothered him, i'd leave it too  :)

Have a look here http://www.guinealynx.info/feet.html#poly

lamore411 said:
I think I read somewhere to clip a toe like that before it causes health problems. Or do we just leave it?
I would leave it - There health or physical activities wont be bothered by the extra toe which is called Polydactyly - They can live a normal life with them O0 and by just clipping it off may hurt the baby ;)
lamore411 said:
Also, Mom seemd to be barbering Daddy on the rump before she delivered. We did not know she was expecting (We thought she was getting chubby and she is Peruvian so she looks big already!)
Did you take daddy pig away as soon as she gave birth ? If not then he may have mated with her as soon as she gave birth so you may exspect new arrivals in approx 2 months time :-\ Is he separated now ?
lamore411 said:
Also, Mom seemd to be barbering Daddy on the rump before she delivered. Could she have been trying to use his hair for nesting?
Nope guinea pigs dont make nests O0

ILA theres another post somewhere about these pigs saying that the owner thought they were same sex (guessing a pet shop error) and that when they discovered the babies the dad was removed

Lez said:
ILA theres another post somewhere about these pigs saying that the owner thought they were same sex (guessing a pet shop error) and that when they discovered the babies the dad was removed
Oh right :D

meeka has an extra toe, just kinda hangs there shes just over 1 year and it has never bothered her :)

Good morning around the globe! I think it is great to have advise from people all over the world! Thank you all for the help! I truly appreciate it. I don't know anyone in my area with piggies so I am lost. I got the parents at a local fair...thought a farmer would have healthy animals and know if they were boys or girls! When we brought them home they were about amonth old and had skin fungus...took them to our vet and treated it...They are very healthy now. I think Romeo's extra toe makes him unique! Daddy is in his own cage now. My husband would freak out if he know she may be expecting already! I will let you know and this time I know if she gets fat what is up. I never thought there were babies since Fluffy was supposed to be a boar!

Good Morning :D
It must of been a shock to find them ;D Lets hope you caught him in time ::) My teddy has an extra toe too and he is unique and i love him for it too :P

can I just ask... what could cause a pup to be born with an extra toe?

Some times it just happens othertimes it could be the sign from inbreeding O0

When I got the parents this summer I was told they were "brothers" They may have been related but I think they might have been from two different litters. They are very different as far as breeds and the boar was bigger even when they were just a few weeks old ( although I realize it amy have just been cause he is a boar). I assume now anything the farmer told me about them was not true. The toe dried up and fell off. It was a tiny peice of skin with a little bulb on the end...not even a whole toe.

lamore411 said:
The toe dried up and fell off. It was a tiny peice of skin with a little bulb on the end...not even a whole toe.
That could of been a spur ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back