Expanding has begun

• Thread starter Thread starter GPQ
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GPQ

Last night, my Mam very kindly offered to by the solid grids I had found on ebay. They should hopefully arrive next week.
I am making 4x2 on the bottom for 4 boars and 4x2 on the top for 5 sows. I know cavycages recommend a larger cage but I do not have the space in my flat to make them any bigger.
I can imagine the piggies will love it when I get them moved in.
I am going to try and get a hold of some Black correx/coroplast because the white does show up the pee stains and I have tried scrubbing and it wont come off.

Emma x

Cool good luck and can't wait for pics :) I think bigger is better but if it's bigger than what they have at the moment then hey O0

Jane said:
Cool good luck and can't wait for pics :) I think bigger is better but if it's bigger than what they have at the moment then hey O0

I currently have 4 girls in a 3x2 and 4 boars in a 3x2, I dare not introduced any more boars together because I imagine I am pushing my limit now, and I only have one boar who is very stroppy, lol.
Making there cages and extra 1x2 will give them a bit more room and I will make some shelves for them to jump onto again, plus the shelves on the bottom floor will support the floor on the 2nd.

Emma x

GPQ said:
Jane said:

I currently have 4 girls in a 3x2 and 4 boars in a 3x2, I dare not introduced any more boars together because I imagine I am pushing my limit now, and I only have one boar who is very stroppy, lol.
Making there cages and extra 1x2 will give them a bit more room and I will make some shelves for them to jump onto again, plus the shelves on the bottom floor will support the floor on the 2nd.

Emma x

Sounds great O0

Thanks.
We are hopeing to move next year so I will have a room just of the piggies and I will definately be expanding with C&C grids they are a lot bigger than pet shop cages and half or quarter of the price.
Its just finding the grids but I have read on another post that B&Q are gonna stock them again so I think I will purchase a few packs to have hanging around.

Emma x

Sounds fne to me but will the cage underneath have anough light? I found this with my first attempt, it was very dark underneath, so I moved them and changed it all. Otherwise sounds great O0

I will modify it a bit if there isnt enought light getting in.
I saw this idea on ebay so my friend is gonna give me some of the square mesh grids to make doors like this...
EBAY007-16.jpg

Anyone got any other ideas on lower level access?

Emma x

GPQ said:
Last night, my Mam very kindly offered to by the solid grids I had found on ebay. They should hopefully arrive next week.
I am making 4x2 on the bottom for 4 boars and 4x2 on the top for 5 sows. I know cavycages recommend a larger cage but I do not have the space in my flat to make them any bigger.
I am going to try and get a hold of some Black correx/coroplast because the white does show up the pee stains and I have tried scrubbing and it wont come off.

Emma x

Oooooh Ive just ordered white correx :-\

Vinegar will get pee stains off! For bad stains let it soak for a while then it comes off no problem :)

Sophie1307 said:
GPQ said:

Emma x

Baby wipes got it off my white correx :)

Niki said:
Sophie1307 said:
GPQ said:

Emma x

Baby wipes got it off my white correx :)

Ahh thankyou ;D

Niki said:
Emma you can make a door or doors out of normal grids using bulldog clips. :)

Explain a bit more Niki, I was hopeing the whole front of the bottom leave would come off but I was worried about the 2nd level, strength wise.

Emma x

GPQ said:
Niki said:
Emma you can make a door or doors out of normal grids using bulldog clips.  :)

Explain a bit more Niki, I was hopeing the whole front of the bottom leave would come off but I was worried about the 2nd level, strength wise.

Emma x

Cable tie the panels along the front but use bull dog clip(s) to fix the 2 middle panels together  this would make a door which can be opened/closed as you wish.  The 2nd level should stay in situ as there will still be 1 panel at each end not moving & the sides of course

I hope that made sense.  :)

Thanks Niki, I will give it a try. I am hoping to have the shelves still in the midde so that should support the weight also.
I have plenty of connectors and cable ties, shall I use both to give extra strenght?

Emma x

GPQ said:
Thanks Niki, I will give it a try. I am hoping to have the shelves still in the midde so that should support the weight also.
I have plenty of connectors and cable ties, shall I use both to give extra strenght?

Emma x

I never used my connectors only cable ties & lots of them ;D ;D If you can use both then why not, it won't be moving anywhere with both O0

Complete and looking smashing but the stupid digital camera software is playing up.
Emma x

Pictures!
My camera was being a good girl today and let me upload the pictures...
Closed...
000_4948.jpg

Front Open...
000_4945.jpg

Grils...
000_4943.jpg

No pictures of the boys they were hiding.

Emma x

I think that's brill. It's not too small and I love those doors on the bottom allowing them to come and go as they please - during set times obviosuly. Good job I say, 2 really nice cages, lots of tubes/hides etc.

oooh thats fab - where did you get there grids from if you dont mind me asking ? 0:)
doesnt it get too hot for them if the radiators on too ?

The pink ones came from Ebay and the mesh from Home Bargins but sadly they dont stock them anymore.
I keep the radiator switched off. We live in an upstairs flat so its still warm without that one being on.

Emma x

GPQ said:
The pink ones came from Ebay and the mesh from Home Bargins but sadly they dont stock them anymore.
I keep the radiator switched off. We live in an upstairs flat so its still warm without that one being on.

Emma x
Oh right thats great O0 too bad about the grids i would of loved some of those as they look nice and are quite different from the others O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back