• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

exessive drinking? water bottles question

• Thread starter Thread starter TheGaffer
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheGaffer

Hi,

I've noticed for about the last week Bailey and Gus are getting through nearly a litre of water a day!

I'm not 100% convinced though that the water bottle isn't leaking, I'm going to get another one tommorrow

What water bottles does everyone recommend, cos I've only been using the cheapy Wilko's one's?

Thanks,

I was using the normal bottles but they leaked all over the place so i am in the middle of changing over to the eazi filla bottles,I get mine from Here

Some pigs (looking at mine here ::)) like to play with the bottles too. I think that may wear out the tubes a bit quicker and make them leaky.

I use the John Hopewell bottles in the link and find them fantastic for my piggies and my buns :)

My Jeremy has started drinking a lot recently - as in half a bottle a day. His bottle isn't leaking - I can sit there and watch him and in one hour he'll have 2 good long drinks.
We have changed their diet to pellets recently, which he loves and wolfs down as soon as they hit his bowl. He has a hell of an appetite, so much so that we have cut down on his pellets, and we bought a run for the garden so that they could get some more exercise but as soon as we put him in it he plopped down where he was and started munching grass!

Is drinking a lot a sign of a problem?

Sometimes it can be a sign of a problem (like diabetes, rarely) but you get some piggies that just seem to like the taste of water. Some are just drinkers, some aren't.

Thanks, I did wonder if it could be diabetes as he must be 2.5yrs old, or if it could be worms as he has a voracious appetite.. but then again he always has had!

Am going to weigh the big pigs tonight and keep an eye on his drinking.

Thanks again!

Pellets absorb a lot of water, its good that he's drinking a lot, providing he's not ill of course :)

It could just be that the new food is drier and also it's very hot outside now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back